Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Bisquit Joiner?

What Bisquit Joiner?

Does anyone know what brand of Bisquit Joiner Norm is using in the kitchen table project #208 now showing on The New Yankee Workshop site.

Russ

I'm pretty sure it is a Porter Cable. Probably a 775. I'm doing this from memory so it is worth what you are paying for it!
    Paul

I couldn't tell from the brief and partial view on the video but I know that in later episodes he used a Lamello.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Norm has used both a Lamello and the PC jointer. I actually thought it went the other way -- earlier he used Lamello and later he used PC, but I only ever got to watch it sporadically anyway.
    Last edited by Chris Kennedy; 05-24-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

According to a NYW tool expert, it's an Elu 2278/3380 biscuit jointer.

I thought he used a Lamello Top 20 at one point.

Yes he did, but didn't start using it until season 5.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hauser View Post
    Does anyone know what brand of Bisquit Joiner Norm is using in the kitchen table project #208 now showing on The New Yankee Workshop site.

Russ

Who cares? Bisquits don't help with alignment (every bisquit joiner leaves the slots loose).

And since bisquit joinery adds only a little bit of glue-joint surface area, why bother?

If you want to add splines, then add splines.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson 27577 View Post
    Who cares? Bisquits don't help with alignment (every bisquit joiner leaves the slots loose).
    Apparently, you have never used a Lamello.

Loose biscuits may be a matter of technique. If you wobble the tool it will cut a wider slot. I have found that if I position my Ferm BJ properly using the fence and cutI get good slots. The odd loose slot happens when I get sloppy.

Be careful Norm gets his tools sponsered. He is not necessarly using what he thinks is the best or likes the best. If you want some thing nice and have the cash look at the festool domino it beats any biscut jointer. I use to have to portorcable and did like it.
    -=Jason=-

Porter Cable 557. I'm happy with mine and it was a fraction of the cost of the Lamello. Yeah it's always nice to buy the best tool available, but I'm on a budget and the PC meets my needs 100%. I use it rarely so durability is not an issue.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    If you want some thing nice and have the cash look at the festool domino it beats any biscut jointer. I use to have to portorcable and did like it.

Though I agree to some extent there are situations where a BJ is superior to a Domino, and the Lamello Top 20S is actually MORE expensive than a Domino...

I originally had a Porter Cable. The results were mixed. I switched to a Lamello and the difference was considerable. The joints were tight, the bisquits worked for alignment. However, contrary to what many people say, bisquit joints have their limitations. Since the bisquits are essentially "beech oriented strand board oval discs," they swell when exposed to moisture, which can cause a "lump" in your finished surface, especially when using 3/4 in. thick lumber or less.

I havn't had good luck with biscuit joiners. I had a PC 557 and the biscuits were so loose that they would fall out of the slot. Then I got rid of that one and bought a Dewalt. Quite the opposite, the biscuits were so tight that it was difficult to assemble the pieces. I tried different brands of biscuits, new biscuits, old biscuits, and even the laminated biscuits. It wasn't the biscuits, it was the cutters. I have used Lamelo and although I don't own one I can attest that they are definetly better. Perfect fit every time with the Lamello. I really suspect that the blades are the problem. I considered buying a blade from Lamello and using it on the Dewalt or the PC.
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans