Thread: Memorial Flat Display Case

Memorial Flat Display Case

I asked and was given permission to build a flag display case for the deceased father of a lifelong friend. The deceased was 88 years old and a veteran of WWII.

He has several medals and a $1.00 bill on which he wrote the names of all the countries he was in during the war. My friend would like to include all of those in the case and I intend to attach an engraved plaque reading "In Loving Memory of XXXXX XXXXXXX From a Grateful Nation.

I've done a google search and have saved a couple of designs that I like. I'd also like to know if anyone else here has made a memorial flag case and would be willing to share the design.

I grew up as fence neighbors with the deceased and had the utmost love and respect for him. I'd really like to honor his memory and his military service with a fine case.

If you have or know about a great design, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Edit In: I didn't notice the typo in the title until after I posted. I don't know how to edit the title.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 05-23-2010 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Typo in title.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I made a triangular walnut flag case for my Dad's memorial flag last year. It turned out pretty well but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process or the finished project. As I recall it was a large right triangle. The apex was a standard 45* miter, but the two bottom angles were larger (65* or so, but that's working from memory so you need to measure your own), and I had to cut the angles with the boards held vertically in my tennoner and the blade angled 25*. If I make another one I'll dispense with the full miters on the bottom angles and use angled butt joints.

I have made several. Here is one for my Dad's casket flag with a photo and medals. The second is for a presentation flag from Afghanistan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is very nice of you and it is one of the best things you can make. I have made a couple of them, your basic triangle flag case top and square bottom, no pics. I started by laying everything out the way I wanted them. It helped me figure out the dimensions and my design. No need to get real fancy with it, keep it basic, it is all about the sentiment.

Bill

Blog Entries
    When you mount the flag be sure to insert a piece of foam core board behind the portion that will show in your window. Cut the foam core to form a triangle the slightly smaller than your display window. Stretch the flag smooth over the triangle so the stars are symmetrical and stick pines into the edge of the foam core to keep it flat. It will look much nicer than a plain folded flag.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You might contact my neighbor up the road Ed Sallee by PM Cody. He has done a large number of flag cases over the years along with doing the current humidors he sells for a living. Kudo's for taking this one on in memory of a veteran. I am a member of the Society of the Fifth Division and the WWII veterans are dwindling at a rapid pace over the last ten years. Their families will be most appreciative of the piece you intend to make.

Regards....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Here's another design (not mine) that I was asked to build. Just more ideas.

Thanks for the ideas and the pics. They are appreciated.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln