Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question about permits.

Dumb question about permits.

I can't get a straight answer from my code enforcement office to a simple question... Do I have to have a permit for a non permanent structure such as a shed built with a skid foundation?

How can I go about finding out if a permit is required, if the city office that issues permits won't tell me?

I'm half tempted to put one in, and if there is any trouble, ask forgiveness instead of permission... That could be an expensive lesson to learn though if one is required... I know permits aren't required for the plastic sheds...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I don't think anybody can answer that except your city, as the codes are different from city to city. Here, it doesn't I don't think type of foundation matters, as much as size. Anything over 12'x12' (or somewhere close to that size) requires a permit. I remember when we put my shed up if I had gone just a little smaller a permit would not have been required.

I think it would depend on size. Around here you can build a 10x10 building without permit - providing it is not too close to the property line - no electricity - no plumbing etc. I would think the city building department would have a bit more info. than the code guy - or at least another person to talk to. Our local code is on the website. Maybe there would be the same in your area. (I'd just do it and go for ignorance.)

I agree that it is a local issue. Your City would regulate this with Zoning Ordinances. Some Ordinances say that if it is under a certain square footage, then a permit is not required. Others, you may need a variance if it is too large. Zoning would also described what the setback is (how far off the property lines) for storage sheds. Some tie down mechanism or foundation may be required depending on the ordinance.

Now, if you are feeling adventurous and have done what you can without getting a straight answer, you could just put it up and see what happens! My guess is that nobody would probably even notice unless it was extremely large or hideous or disturbed a neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    I would think the city building department would have a bit more info. than the code guy - or at least another person to talk to. Our local code is on the website. Maybe there would be the same in your area. (I'd just do it and go for ignorance.)
    That's the problem. I can't seem to get past the receptionist, and she hasn't a clue... I may have to make a pain in the tail of myself at a city council meeting to stir things up some...

Like others have said it will probably be a zoning issue more than a permit issue. See if your town has anything posted online.

Here's a few things to think about before you start to rattle tha cages...
    1. How big is your lot? If you have a large lot the zoning issue becomes less.

2. Where are you going to put it? Is it in the open so everyone can see as they drive by. If it's pretty hidden in your yard so it's hard to see from the street the less the building inspector can see also.

3. Your relationship with your neighbors? If no one will rat you out to the building inspector, just build on the weekends.

So if you have a large lot and a spot where the shed will be not easily scene and have nice neighbotrs than forget the permit and build. I'm not condoning not getting a permit but depanding on the situation it can be more of a bother.

I don't know how 'hi-tech' your town is, but maybe they have a web site. I live in Mt. View, CA and they have a great web site with all permit application and zoning requirements online. I was lucky, they also answered all of my phone queries.

I guess you do get some good things out of those high CA taxes...

Roger

For a real blank stare in the office, ask about composting toilets.

David,
    You are asking the wrong city office. Call the planning department. First look at your city ordinance at the following link to determine if your shed is allowed. I think it is. Accessory structures and uses are covered in Part IV, Section 125-120.B on page IV-11. If in doubt go to the Planning office and bring a sketch. They should help you out.

http://tx-leaguecity.civicplus.com/c...w.aspx?DID=734

Blog Entries
    David:

I googled the League City site and found this on the permit application:
    NOTE: For all structures over 250 S.F. a engineered windstorm design, to meet 120 Mph Exp. C, must be provided along with foundation and framing plans sealed by an engineer. Upon project completion, proof of TDI Windstorm Certification is to be provided to the Building Official.
    Don't know how big your building is. I live in Seabrook and i'm sure you know about all the issues that have been raised in surrounding cities about temporary buildings being removed before hurricane season. I would definitely check with the city building department. They may not even let you put in a building on skids.

Here' a link to to the application: http://www.leaguecity.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2404
    Here's some different phone numbers to try:
    Building 281-554-1429
    Planning 281-554-1080
    Engineering 281-554-1444
    Maybe you can get through to one of them.

When I called my city to ask the same question plus whether it was OK to encroach a smidge on the utility easement, they told me it would probably be OK, but the only way to get a firm answer was to submit a request for the permit. Sounds reasonable to me, so I plan to do just that as soon as I have some drawings to give them. In my case I imagine I could ask the building inspector, but an application will tie it down for sure.

John

Unless they have let go all employees a permit and process can't take more than a day now, can it? Maybe if easement issues, a CUP involved or flood plain issue but can't imagine more than a day.
    We lucky --- maybe 2 hours if the taking naps.

Bet I have 7 buildings including pole barn that sit dead center on easements if the surveyor did things right. Not an issue here at all unless they dedcide to trench under them - then it'd be my loss. My bet was a 30' right of way easement gives them plenty of room - state, county, city and even the Feds got a piece of that one as I am near National Park. I sleep well - won't happen

Blog Entries
    As I said in my earlier post, the coastal cities like League City have concerns about small, skid mounted buildings or mobile homes due to the danger posed by them during hurricanes. The recent experiences with Ike have a lot of cities on edge about structures that may become battering rams. Best to check with the city permit issuer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    As I said in my earlier post, the coastal cities like League City have concerns about small, skid mounted buildings or mobile homes due to the danger posed by them during hurricanes. The recent experiences with Ike have a lot of cities on edge about structures that may become battering rams. Best to check with the city permit issuer.
    Agreed...

FWIW, The shed I want to put up is 12x16, and the (insert expletive here) telephone runs DIAGONALLY through my back yard... Which is why I wanted a skid structure... I can move it if need be...

Funny thing is, I HAVE to allow the phone cable even though it is the cable for MY house, and I do not use a land line...

I might just have to call Verizon and see what it would take to get them to move their cable so I can just do a slab on grade. I know a permit would be required for that (anything requiring concrete be poured pretty much...).

Yes, I am painfully aware of hurricane issues. Unless code has changed, I CAN use those big corkscrew looking things with the aircraft cables to effectively cable down the shed... And yes, League City still allows skid on gravel foundation, for under 200 sq ft... Again, unless that has changed. A LOT has been going on in the last 2 years...

In my township you would need a permit for that up to 300 sq feet and also a zoning permit if it's over 300 sq ft. The first one runs $300. It doesn't matter that it's on skids and movable...it's a shed. But this is purely a local jurisdiction thing. If yours has a web site, they typically will have that information available online these days. My township does.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...