Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&D Pipe fitting specs

S&D Pipe fitting specs

I'm going to be re-doing my shop DC ducting using 6" S&D (ASTM 2729 or SDR35) pipe. Before I go too far down this road, however, I'd like to draw up the layout in Sketchup so I can determine how I need to re-position access holes in the walls the position of the DC unit, etc.

However, while I've been able to get the dimensions for the pipe itself, I've been unable to find any dimensions for any of the fittings. I was hoping that the Google Sketchup 3D warehouse would have some ready-made models for this purpose, but no luck. I'll be glad to fill that gap - IF I can find a document that provides fitting dimensions.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've done numerous web searches using a variety of search terms in various combinations and seem to have come up with bupkes.

Thanks.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Oops! Posted this a bit too quickly - I dug a little more and finally found a great resource on the Charlotte Pipe & Foundry site. I'll post it here for anyone else that needs it.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...V%28609%29.pdf

Give me a few days (well maybe a few weeks!) and I should have drawings of the most common DC components on the Google 3D Warehouse - 90 deg elbows, wyes, reducers etc.
    --Steve--

I think you should just come down and measure mine. Then while you are here we can put them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I think you should just come down and measure mine. Then while you are here we can put them up.
    Hey, there's a thought.

Where did you end up getting yours? I found an old thread on the Clearvue forum that claimed that Ferguson Enterprises carries a full line of S&D pipe & fittings, and they have a lot of locations - two not far from me, and I noticed one in Maumee.

I'd like to avoid the wild-goose chase that Damon went through. I only need 2 pieces of pipe, 3 wyes, and maybe three elbows, although I'll know for sure once I get those connectors modeled in Sketchup...
    --Steve--

Actually hopefully by tonight mine will all be up. Damon is coming down to help me for a couple hours this evening and I suspect we'll come pretty close.

Sources around here:
    Fittings only--they carry the heavier, uglier, green pipe
    - Lowes that are close to rural areas--Ann Arbor and Monroe for sure.
    - Menards in Toledo (really good prices too)
    Fittings and the lightweight, white, 2729 pipe
    - Carter Lumber in Toledo or Monroe
    - Warren Pipe, which is where Damon got a lot of his stuff

I'll probably have some left over that I'll want to sell off. When Damon and Chris sold their extras I scarfed them up, plus I have everything I already had. Its looking like I'll not need it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'll probably have some left over that I'll want to sell off. When Damon and Chris sold their extras I scarfed them up, plus I have everything I already had. Its looking like I'll not need it all.
    Well, I can definitely help you with that "overflow" problem.

Just let me know...
    --Steve--

7. Hello Steve, Did you ever make some Sketchup drawings of the 6" S&D 2729 and the fittings?

Yeah - as a matter of fact I did.

Not sure how good they are, but they're good enough to plan a layout I think - they're a little hard to align, so when I used them a couple of weeks ago I found myself adding a line whose end defined the center of the fittings, so you might want to do that to each of these before using them.

I'll attach 'em to this message - I think they're all the 6" versions - a pipe, a 6-to-4 inch reducer, a wye, a long-sweep and short 90.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --Steve--

Fitting sizes

Here are dimensions taken from my actual ASTM 2729 fittings when I was laying things out on my computer. They were purchased from McMaster-Carr and can be seen at Mcmaster.com. Oh, by the way, the 6" 90 degree elbow is a "long elbow" which means it has a larger radius than a standard elbow.
    -Jeff

Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 10-14-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Describe the long elbow.
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Steve
    Warren Pipe has the 6" S&D and all the fittings and aren't too far from you.
    Use the fence Luke

I dunno - Warren is a long way from Livonia. Actually, I was coming back from a funeral in Toledo and stopped into Carter Lumber in Monroe. They have a pretty good selection, so I picked up some 6-to-4 reducers, a short 90 and a long-sweep 90. That ain't close either, but since I was almost going by their door...
    --Steve--

Thanks Steve... those look great. How hard is it to line it up with the center line?

Thanks Jeffrey for the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    Thanks Steve... those look great. How hard is it to line it up with the center line?
    As I mentioned, you'll want to edit each and draw a line down the center of each connection on each fitting, with the endpoint in the plane defined by the end of the connection. On the pipe, it's a bit more of a pain 'cause you're always stretching the pipe to different lengths, but once you have the right length you can draw a line from the ID to the center, and then use the ends of those lines to snap the two pieces together.
    --Steve--

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Here are dimensions taken from my actual ASTM 2729 fittings when I was laying things out on my computer. They were purchased from McMaster-Carr
    I was just purchasing some other items from McMaster and couldn't find these. All I could find were Schedule 40 and 80 pipe & fittings.
    --Steve--

Nevermind - I just needed to go to the "Plastic Pipe Fittings and Pipe" page, then scroll down to the "Specifications met" section and select "American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)". That link takes you to the page where you can select 2729.
    --Steve--