Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: treated pine

treated pine

anyone here have reason to / experience with turning treated pine? i need a nice post to put a home-made, working sundial on. Breathing protection, I know, but is this a really dumb idea?

Mike, I have never turned it, but it is notorious for cracking and movement - both seemingly without reason. I have had deck material move after 7-8 years of being stable. To make matters worse, the moisture content will easily be in the 20% plus range, and I would think cracks will be a certainty.

Don't know if it is available, but I would treat after I turned it. Dust and chips go everywhere and with poison in it, you don't want to get this stuff airborne. You also said you need a nice post. Probably not find a nice piece of treated wood anywhere.

you guys are probably right - think i'll turn a piece of wood, then treat it with something.

Mike - I thought about doing the same thing a number of years ago - in my case it was going to be finials for the deck rails. Thought about using my old lathe and moving the operation outside just to be safe - ended up not doing it as it seemed like a lot more work than necessary.

I have used oil-based deck sealants before and think that they would probably work well for your application.

Good luck with with your project!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What about an ipe 4x4?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Mike,

Ive done a little flat work with pressure treated pine, both the pine that was treated with arsenic the new yella wood which is treated with copper. In both cases the wood was so wet it was worse than trying to work with green wood. Every thing I cut would warp and twist before I could get it off the table saw. Im guessing it would probably act like green wood on the lathe.

If you were to turn a new piece of pressure treated wood I would suspect you might get soaked with whatever chemicals are in the wood. I did a little research on yella wood and if I remember correctly it is supposed to be safer than the stuff treated with arsenic and can even be used in gardens and such.

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Think white oak, man so much safer.

I recently did some boring of treated pine and the smell alone was enough to make me scrap the project! After drilling just a few 1.5 inch holes through 3/4 inch stock I felt quite nauseous even wearing a mask!

MMc

CCA had arsenic in it, but is no longer in production. The new ACQ (alkaline copper quaternate) and similar proprietary treatments are less hazardous and are actually food contact safe. Hence the mandated change a couple years ago.

Fact is that treated wood is typically southern yellow pine, which is a wonky species to begin with. It is known to get rather squirrelly as it is cut and stresses within the board change. That is further complicated by the treatment process. If you do it, try to get material that is KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) as opposed to the wet stuff...Even KDAT is only 19% maximum moisture when it is dried. If it has been rained on at the lumber yard the KDAT thing doesn't make any difference.

Why not get a nice piece of cedar for your pedestal? It is naturally resistant to the elements to some degree, and with a good coat or Penofin or similar penetrating oil it would last a long time and look good as well.

White oak, mahogany, cypress, or, if you can get it, black locust.

I think the alternatives suggested so far (Ipe, White Oak) are good, but I'll add to the list: Osage Orange, Black Locust and Honeylocust. Any one of them will outlast pressure treated. I've not turned Osage, but it's pretty. Honeylocust and Black Locust turn well, but I'd think about carbide tools.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Cedar or Redwood will withstand the weather and even better with a sealer.

You could also use purple heart. Very water resistant. It starts grey, turns purple in a few days, then in a few months-years will turn chocolate brown.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

brian i like your signature...lol

I have read that cedar is good but near as good as "old growth" cedar.
    Any thoughts on that please let em rip.

I would think teak, ipe, etc would be very durable and will outlast your lifetime.

I think untreated ipe is about 50 to 60 years and treated is around 95 to 100 years...

The bad thing about the wood is that if you cant get it locally you can get it on a good deal but the stuff is so heavy it is a pita to mail.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant