Thread: Lombardy Poplar any good for WW

Lombardy Poplar any good for WW

Is Lombardy Poplar any good for woodworking. Paint grade.

i.e too soft? Too many knots? Loose knot characteristics?

No one knows here? Its a common wood people use for fencelines. Not sure how it compares to the common kind. I can get some for .35cents a bd foot.

Wow, I remember planting a line of those in our back yard as a kid. I also remember cutting them down as a teenager due to them dying off from old age. I believe as a lumber it is classified the same as cottonwood....low grade.

Blog Entries
    Lombardy's are a fast growing tree that was commonly used to make wind breaks along roads or property lines. Their wood is soft and has little commercial value from what I've read. Most common use is firewood.

I helped my FIL cut down 15 of them on his property as they were dying from old age. He planted them when he built the house, they were about 25-30 years old.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had five huge lombardis cut down at my house, they just sort of die off after about 20-30 years old. I rented a log splitter and got a whole bunch of fire wood. I did machine up small small straight grained pieces for the fun of it to make some small shelves. The wood was like typical poplar, light and soft, it did have some intersting colorations, kind of medium brown, sorry no pics. Nothing special in my opinion.

Thanks sounds like a utility type wood. I could get bd footage at .35 cents kiln dried up to 1000bd feet.