Thread: 10" or 12" Rikon / Craftsman Bandsaw

10" or 12" Rikon / Craftsman Bandsaw

Hey All,

Sears has these two models on sale right now. I already have the 18" Rikon Bandsaw and am happy with it. However, I'd like to get a smaller bandsaw so I don't have to change blades very often, etc.

I'm leaning toward the 12" instead of the 10". Both have good reviews, but the 12" seems more like a "real" saw and would make a good addition to the 18" or so it seems. The difference in prices is about $120.

Any comments?

Thanks

Tom,

If you are just going to cut curves with it you can got wrong with the 10" I owned one for about a year it was a real nice saw. I wish I would have kept it. If you have bench space than it isn't that big of a deal. But if you dont you will have to make a stand for the 10", it is too heavy to be picking up off of the floor all of the time. That is why I got ride of mine, I don't have room for 2 saws on stands, and limited bench space. Other than that it cut every thing that would fit in it.

10" or 12" Rikon /Craftsman bandsaw

I have the 10" Rikon/ Craftsman saw and I like it really well so far, no real complaints. The only thing is, I wish it had wider capacity a couple of times
    but I have learned to work around that. I got tired of the cheap, crap saw blade that came with it and ordered a good blade locally through a tool
    supplier here in town....what a difference that made ...whew! Like a totally
    different saw....much more aggressive cutting than with a stock blade.

For the money...it is really a good performer, it does what I need for now.

I've had the 12" Craftsman version for a couple of years. It's been a good tool within it's power and capacity limitations. The stock roller bearings are junk, but can be easily replaced with roller blade bearings for ~ $10. Nothing extraordinary about the 12", but the sale price was great and it's done what I've needed it to do.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You guys who are responding that you own (or owned) one, which one? Rikon or Craftsman? I'm still baffled over what the differences are.

some have more... some have less but, there all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    You guys who are responding that you own (or owned) one, which one? Rikon or Craftsman? I'm still baffled over what the differences are.
    The only difference between the 2 is the power switch. The Rikon model specs a slightly better switch, none the less both saws are made on the same lines with the only differences being fit and finish.

As for the saw question; I have the 12" c'man and use it all the time. It's a great saw for the size and once it's all dialed in it cuts and re-saws like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Greb View Post
    The only difference between the 2 is the power switch. The Rikon model specs a slightly better switch, none the less both saws are made on the same lines with the only differences being fit and finish.

As for the saw question; I have the 12" c'man and use it all the time. It's a great saw for the size and once it's all dialed in it cuts and re-saws like a champ.

Thanks, Brian. I continue to be baffled at the fact that the Craftsman saws (these two or three, that is) are the same saw as the Rikons, given the price difference. You can literally buy the Craftsman for almost half the price of the Rikon.

They must cut costs somewhere.... its just about impossible for the same saw to be selling for $100 less, new, not on sale, and both still get acceptable business....

The Power of Marketing

Actually, it's not impossible at all... It happens every day, on many different products. Just think about generic pharmaceuticals... these are exact duplicates on the molecular level, and still folks will demand the brand name product, convinced by marketing that it has better performance. All that money spent on commercials and branding has an effect, and that effect shows up as different price points, different distribution channels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    Actually, it's not impossible at all... It happens every day, on many different products. Just think about generic pharmaceuticals... these are exact duplicates on the molecular level, and still folks will demand the brand name product, convinced by marketing that it has better performance. All that money spent on commercials and branding has an effect, and that effect shows up as different price points, different distribution channels, etc.
    True. Still, in this particular instance, I'm not sure that analysis really works. Although I've been out of woodworking for a while, I had never heard of Rikon until a couple of months ago (here). It is not a "famous name brand". Indeed, it took a lot of convincing for me to even reach the conclusion (which I have) that Rikon puts out a quality product and is a good company.

Craftsman, of course, is a long-established, "famous name brand". And even when you factor in that the last 20-30 years have seen a serious decline in the reputation of the Craftsman name, it still has some marketing value. Arguably more than Rikon. At least the Craftsman products have the backing of a 100 year old American retailer.

So I'm just not sure the brand value accounts for the substantially higher costs of the Rikon compared to the Craftsman. I'd sure love to have the two side by side for an afternoon....

Thanks all for the replies. I ordered the 12" Craftsman and if/when it get's here I'll update everyone. I'll at least be able to compare it to my 18" Rikon.

I tend to agree with others that there aren't likely any major differences in the saws. Rikon is a small company and needs to make more per item than a much larger company like Sears. Heck, I don't know, but I would guess Sears sells 10 times what Rikon sells of their version. In the end, though, Rikon makes money on the Sears ones as well, etc. Maybe Rikon expects a 25% margin and Sears 5%? Who really knows.

12. Looks like a good little saw... The thing that gets me about those small, Euro Style bandsaws(14 and under) is that if you ever want more space to cut thicker stuff(not sure the power would handel it, but theoretically) you would have to cut the spine, then weld in another piece.... Thats why I am surpised they dont just stick with the Delta style.... for anything under say, 16"....

I have the 10 inch Crafstman band saw and it works nice. Get the 12 if you can I had a small budget and wish it was bigger. A little tweaking of the bottom wheel (4 bolts in the back) and it is nice and coplanar. I use 3/8 blades a lot 3 tooth or 6 tooth. Find a good local place for blades and you'll be happy with it