Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepstool for Grandson

Smile Stepstool for Grandson

Just finished this for our youngest grandson, Logan.

Birdseye Maple, approx 10" x 10" x 12" high, when in chair configuration. Sanded to 220 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly.

Step Stool v1.JPG Step Stool v2.JPG Step Stool v3.JPG Step Stool v4.JPG

This is one of those times where the photos do not do the piece justice. It does not capture how well the wood plays with light or how intense the color actually is.

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

How come it isn't round. Just kidding, I see you post a lot of items in the turners forum, which I browse almost daily. Very nice.

Wow, the pix look pretty good to me. Wish I could see it live if you say it's even better in person!!!

Steve, the pics are great!! They really do bring out the coloring on the maple better. As noted before, you do a great job on these stepstools, and I am sure you win extra points with the grandkids! Logan will be appreciative, but as important, this piece will be handed down for generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    How come it isn't round. Just kidding, I see you post a lot of items in the turners forum, which I browse almost daily. Very nice.
    Mark, like most turners, Steve has a flatwork history, though he keeps it quite - one of those things that isn't discussed openly in the Turner's Forum!!! Besides, this could be considered "reverse turning." Take a log that is already round, cut it in flat pieces and make something from it.

Another fine stepstool Steve.
    I'm thinking you may make these for the grandkids so they can use them to learn to use your lathe a few years early....

6. Great Job Steve! It's great to see your flat work. As with your turnings this is beautiful. Thanks for posting!

Yep

I like the piece. Good idea to get the full color out of the wood. I do question if that little screw that swivels the first step going to hold up to years of wear ?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Gary - the screws used for the swivel function are #10 x 2 1/2" and, so far, I have two of these step stools that have been in use for over 10 years with no problems. Then again - they are subject to some fairly rough use and you just never know!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice job Steve. Beautiful color and figure in the wood.

that may be one of the fanciest kid step stool/chairs I have ever seen. Lucky grandson

my first time venturing into another park of smc, I didn't even know steve made anything that wasn't round. My gosh that looks pretty, i definitely know what you mean, those pictures don't look like they'll do it justice.

Steve, if the photos don't do that justice, I can only imagine how cool that is! That Birdseye Maple is really amazingly beautiful, it has some really unique colors in the "normal" part of the grain. That is seriously a very cool step stool! I really like how you did his name in it. Man, I can't get over the grain in that maple. It almost has a smokey pattern to it!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Now how did you make that on a lathe??

Very cool. I bet Logan loves Gramps!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Gorgeous and the wood is unreal! What finish did you use, you really got the maple to pop!

Very nice Steve. Logan is going to be so excited when you give it to him. You have lucky grandkids.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra