Thread: Dissolvable Tape

Dissolvable Tape

Hi Gang;
    Does anyone know of any water dissolvable masking tape-or tape who's adhesive will dissolve with water?- DNA?-paint thinner?
    Thanks
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

George - what are you trying to do?
    There might be other solutions.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    The paper tape used for vinyl transfer has a water-soluble adhesive...

3M has a selection of them (for example, I use the 5414 for a quick soldermask), just search on water soluble adhesive.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Tape

Thanks, Dan
    Rodne;
    I have quite a few small boxes which have a very fine black lacquer piano finish (see pic). I am doing some intricate fine engraving on them and filling with white.
    1. Coat of paste wax (to make mask release easier-??)
    2. Mask with low tack masking tape
    3. Laser
    4. Toothbrush out debris
    5. Fill with slightly thinned Elmers white wood filler (I find this easier to work with than other fills)
    6. Card off excess and let dry
    7. Now the tough part- very, very,very gently remove the tape and weed. It's very easy to scratch the surface trying to wedge it off with a card or bit of plastic.Very time consuming, complicated by the fact that I am noty a patient man.
    Suggestions???
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    Attached Images Attached Images

George , the paper based vinyl appliication tape will just roll off if moistend leaving a pristine substrate.
    You could use white rub n buff or white crayola on it as well and use turps to clean it off
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Tape

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380236265328&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-27-2010 at 6:26 AM. Reason: removed ebay link

George
    That's the stuff.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The vinyl application tape doesn't have vinyl in it?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

The paper based stuff is like masking paper - its used to lift the vinyl off the carrier (backing paper) once it is cut and weeded
    You apply the cut vinyl using the tape to keep the letters in position and as its FAR less tacky than the vinyl lettering , it peels off and leaves the lettering behind.
    You do get a clear variety with grid lines printed , that is vinyl based tho.

Thanks Rodney.......I assumed it was named for its function and not its material content.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

PVA (polyvinylalcohol) is used in plastics as a seperater layer in casting molds and fiberglass molds. It is just sprayed on with a mist bottle, and forms a thin skin, when it drys. I may do what you need. Water soluble.

art

Thanks,Mike,Rodne, Art et al
    best regards
    gmperzel