Thread: New toys and some wood - Thanks, Jeff!

New toys and some wood - Thanks, Jeff!

The one complaint I have had with my Delta 46-460 is the soft iron in the tool rests. Everytime I hollow something, I have to file the rest down to get rid of the dished out area.

So, I had Jeff Nicol make some new tool rests, including a rest for hollowing. This is kind of a hybrid with features from a couple that are commercially available. Jeff did a great job, and I am looking forward to trying these out this weekend!!

And, while I was at it, knowing Jeff has more than a few hundred blanks, I thought I might as well have him throw in a few. Silver maple, ash and elm from top down - all dry!

Thanks, Jeff!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those rests look fantastic. The flair on the ends seem like you could get really close to tight spots. Lumber is a nice bonus.

John, you will enjoy those rests, congratulations

Nice looking tools John, congratulations. I have been thinking about building a rest like that for hollowing, let us know what you think of it.

John - congrats on the new rests! They look great! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the blanks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had Jeff build me a rest for my delta 46-460 too, and it's a night-and-day comparison. I didn't realize how bad - or how soft - the original tool rest was. The one Jeff built really is a great rest for the hand as well. I need to ask him to build me a couple more of different sizes.

I also had him send me one of his hollowing tool sets, which I am experimenting with - hopefully you guys will see some results soon.

And, he sent some nice wood too - I turned a piece tonight for the mister's birthday, to try to make up for all the time I'm spending in the shop of late. It was a nice piece of wood, and I was happy with the result - but I'm not sure I got any brownie points!

Anyway, any of you who are considering getting a new tool rest, I'd seriously think about contacting Jeff - I'm really happy with mine!

hollowing tool rest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Evans View Post
    Nice looking tools John, congratulations. I have been thinking about building a rest like that for hollowing, let us know what you think of it.
    This looks just like Iron's Tool Gate, inveneted by Phil Irons. You can see more info at http://woodworker.com/irons-tool-gat...e&searchmode=2

The tool rests appear to be quite robust.

I also purchased a 6", and 12" tool rest from Jeff. I just hesitated to say anything publicly, because the last time I did this (the steady rest) it seemed to cause a minor uproar, and he had to shut his web site down. But now that the "cat is out of the bag" let me say, that these rests are very well made, and up to Jeff's always high standards. Like the stock Delta rest, the Nova rest is too soft, and requires constant filing. I am looking forward to using the rests from Jeff, but unfortunately will have to wait until my lathe is running again, parts are still in WV.

Oh, Jeff did throw in some nice turning stock with the rests. He explains this by saying it just seems silly to "ship air" when there is still room in the container. As has been brought up in at least one other thread, Jeff is not onlt a fine craftsman, he is genuinely a nice person.

I also bought some tool rests from Jeff Nicol. I was going to post about it but I can't find my camera in the midst of this home remodel we are doing. But since John Keeton was kind enough to break into my house and take pictures of my tool rests I can now post as well. Actually I am amazed at how professional looking a job Jeff does on his work. My tool rests look exactly like those in John's photos baring the hollowing rest.

I still bought three of them but I have at times found a real need for a small tool rest. When doing pens, I have turned 3 or 4 I think, and the finials for ornaments and what not I love getting in very close without having leave much clearance. So I got a very short 3-4 inch one, a 6 and one that looks to be about 10 or 11 inches. In any event they are truly fantastic!

I have to note that Jeff got everything in my order that I wanted except one thing! I begged and pleaded to be on the list before JohnK. Just because he seems to be having all the fun lately. Sadly Mr. Keeton was quicker off of the draw that I was and I went onto the list down below him. Ah well I still get to have some fun too.

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dinerstein View Post
    Sadly Mr. Keeton was quicker off of the draw that I was and I went onto the list down below him.
    Joshua, the element of surprise is a well honed tool for me! Sneek in, do the damage, and get out before the opponent realizes what happened.

The reality is - both of us were way down the list!! I think Jeff has been really busy with these, and you are right, the craftsmanship is first rate.