Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think My Lee Valley Punch Card Must Have Been Full

I Think My Lee Valley Punch Card Must Have Been Full

My new Skew Block, Scraper and Router Planes arrived today! (along with a few other goodies, two new roller stands, fantastic useful things!)

Over the last while I've collected quite a few veritas goodies with my near monthly orders and I think I got a reward with this order. Kinda scary when you gather them all up. The box in the middle is an unordered 4 1/2 that showed up with this order. Yahoo....? Is it like the free subway sub you get when you fill your card? (do they still do that?)

Strangely enough i heard an old friend of mine has started working for the plane making company doing some sort of analysis and was given a plane I'm sure he'll use as a paperweight. I was straining my brain for an angle...

Ahhhh well, off to the 1 800 number. It's killing me.

(I wonder if they'd mind if I just gave it just a leeetle tryout?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Griph0n Brown; 05-26-2010 at 9:44 PM.

Nice collection. I own a few of those planes and really enjoy them. My BUS is working wonders on some very hard birdseye maple I've been working with lately.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Ouch - can't be doing that on a regular basis!!

We're looking now to see if we left the plane out of another customer's order. ( I suspect we did). We use cart picking in our warehouse - an approach where a tiered cart of 12-20 orders is consolidated by our system, with a pick path optimized for the shortest walk distance. Usually this means "like" orders are grouped together (same/similar products). The picker uses a master picksheet - that instructs them where to go, what to pick, and which bin to put it in on the cart. Sounds like the 4 1/2 should have gone in a bin to the right or left of yours...

I certainly appreciate your honesty!

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post

We're looking now to see if we left the plane out of another customer's order. ( I suspect we did). We use cart picking in our warehouse - an approach where a tiered cart of 12-20 orders is consolidated by our system, with a pick path optimized for the shortest walk distance. Usually this means "like" orders are grouped together (same/similar products). The picker uses a master picksheet - that instructs them where to go, what to pick, and which bin to put it in on the cart. Sounds like the 4 1/2 should have gone in a bin to the right or left of yours...

Cheers -

Rob Lee
    That cant be it, it must be the new packaging filler you are using. Ya thats it, be different! Everyone uses bubble-wrap and peanuts, you use Planes!

if thats the case, expect an order from me soon!

Ahh...

Now you went and got some poor LV employee fired, or at least reprimanded... and you'll have Rob kicking in your door at 3 AM demanding his goods back!

Please tell me how I can get my order processed in similar manner...but with a plow plane instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Griph0n Brown View Post
    My new Skew Block, Scraper and Router Planes arrived today! (along with a few other goodies, two new roller stands, fantastic useful things!)

Over the last while I've collected quite a few veritas goodies with my near monthly orders and I think I got a reward with this order. Kinda scary when you gather them all up. The box in the middle is an unordered 4 1/2 that showed up with this order. Yahoo....? Is it like the free subway sub you get when you fill your card? (do they still do that?)

Strangely enough i heard an old friend of mine has started working for the plane making company doing some sort of analysis and was given a plane I'm sure he'll use as a paperweight. I was straining my brain for an angle...

Ahhhh well, off to the 1 800 number. It's killing me.

(I wonder if they'd mind if I just gave it just a leeetle tryout?)

Curious...why do you have both bevel-up smoothers? I have always wondered why Veritas offers two planes that, to me, seem strikingly similar.

Ohhhhhh.... I actually debated posting 'cause of the poor picker... Mr. Lee... be nice.

The smaller BU smoother has a totally different feel than the larger one. I think I reach for it far more often than the larger one. It was a gift, but I picked it originally as a shooter.

I dunno, why do I own the skew rabbet, the block rabbet, a large shoulder plane and a med shldr plane? I have a minor theory that when I own all the Lee Valley Planes I will Rule the World or the workshop, or be a better woodworker or.... maybe I'm OCD.

(Don't tell my wife, it's a private theory)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post

Cheers -

Rob Lee
    Honesty should be rewarded and an honest mistake, forgiven.

So be kind Mr. Lee, while this is addressed

Not by market forces nor accountants choices, driven.

But by choice of heart let future P.R be blessed.

Regards
    Rob.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a check of ship weights on picked orders would help catch such errors.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Personally I believe in fate on things like this. Sadly I am still behind on the collecting end but if you find something and give a good effort to return it you should be paid back when you loose something. Of course this is a little different as it was shipped to you incorrectly and you didn't find it. But somehow making it right should get you a payback next time you lose something. Now finding a LV 41/2 and returning it better not equate to losing a screwdriver and finding it . Seriously your a better man than most and looking at that LV collection (drool) I think they might be able to make that plane yours at a very vary good price if you wanted it. Not saying they should but....
    Last edited by john davey; 05-27-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griph0n Brown View Post
    Ohhhhhh.... I actually debated posting 'cause of the poor picker... Mr. Lee... be nice.
    No sweat... everyone makes mistakes picking.... even me!

Not next year though... our pickers will look like the Borg... their index fingers will have scanners mounted on 'em, and they'll all have headsets, and be voice guided...

Cheers -

Rob

Say it ain't so..

Please Rob, not like the Borg!! The voices in my head made me do it...

Sounds like you are going the Vollect route Rob. Great people by the way.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

About ten years ago or so, I ordered a new DeWalt portable planer from the old Tool Crib of the North when they were in Dakota. I received it a wek later. The next day I received another one. I called them up and told them and the reply was "It is a mistake. Call UPS and have them pick it up and say that you refuse it." That was it no "Sorry and thanks for being honest", just orders on what I could do to correct THEIR error.

A simple "thanks" was all I wanted. I could have kept it and been $400 richer (and conscience poorer). Takes all kinds, but it sure is nice that Rob Lee chimed in and explained the error and said "thanks".

LV certainly is a great company to deal with.