Thread: How to whaitewash previously stained oak

How to whaitewash previously stained oak

Desire a whitewash stained look on oak that has been previously finished. Appears to be finished with a minwax type oil stain. I was considering using shellac to seal it consistently, but not sure what to follow it up with. As a last resort it could be painted, but a solid white appearance is not really desiored. It's a large QTY of wainscott in a house. Stripping wood is not really an option. Any suggestions?

A "whitewash" effect is done with products that have white pigment in them at a level that's low enough so it doesn't hide (like the levels in a paint), It's also an effect that's done on very light woods without pronounced grain like maple and birch. A pickled look is white stain that's pronounced in open grained woods like oak with a darker contrast from the intermediate areas between the grain.

I'm not sure what effect you're after, but if the wood is dark to begin with and sealed, all you'll get with a wiping stain is a slight white appearance in the grain.

You can use a whitewash toner (white pigment in a clear finish) and spray it on, but what you'll have is a whitish haze over the darker color. Either way, the low level of white in the product necessary to propduce a transparent effect won't be enough to cover up (hide) the darker color.

I suppose the only thing to do is to proceed as you indicate, and sand the (dewaxed) shellac when dry with 320 grit or a scotchbrite maroon pad. Then apply 1-2-3 coats of a whitewash stain. See if you get an effect that you like. Otherwise paint may be your best option.

Thanks Jeff