Thread: About to become a roly-poly

About to become a roly-poly

Don't know what got into me, but I ordered a Jet mini with bed extension Sunday night then went to LV and ordered a basic set of turning tools. Don't have a clue how to turn, have never even seen anyone do it, but what the heck!
    I need a turned 18" column for a candle stand thats been sitting in my shop waiting for almost a year and it was looking like the only way to get it was to buy a lathe. Guess I will figure it out somehow. I'm sure I will have lots of questions! Any recommendations for good DVDs and books?

Go for it girl!!!!
    regards alan

Carole -

Have you been talking to my wife? She was suddenly taken ill with the same bug.

FWW has several DVDs that cover different topics and are done by different people so you get varied perspectives. Don't forget, Bill Grumbine has just released a new DVD. Mine is on order.

Ted

If no one else will tell you then I will. Once you start turning it becomes more and more addictive and you will see dust accumulating on all your flat work tools except for your bandsaw which will suddenly become more important than ever to cut turning blanks round. There is no cure for this addiction and the only group out there pretending to help will only make it worse- the AAW. If you contact them they will put you in touch with a counselor who will probably become your personal pusher. They will be more than willing to help. You are forewarned...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Best thing is to take a lesson first before you learn bad habits.Halsey

Welcome to the "World of Round!" I'm sure you'll love it here.

Bruce

Richard Raffan (Raffen?) and Del Stubbs have very good "how to" videos I got at the library.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Check for a local chapter of the AAW so you can get some mentoring and don't forget you need a full-face shield for safety. Welcome to the addiction!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Carole, Please check out your local library for good books and tapes. Also, a good lesson from a good turner is a good place to start. I wish I had done the same. Phil
    Philip

Hello Carole, and welcome to the world of round. Just be ready for the time of your life. Turning on a lathe can be so much fun that flat work gets pushed to the back burner. I used my shopsmith for years, off & on, to turn then got a jet mini and really got into it, then this past summer I upgraded to a powermatic 3520A. The better half was not happy at all but she's coming around. Check in your area to see if there is a local AAW chapter. A great place to get help and on hands experience. And the Creek, of course, is a great place for help.

Bobby

Way to go, Carole! As severeal other guys have said, you may just as well clean up your flat work tools, cover them with some old sheets and get ready to have a whole bunch of fun with that new lathe! Congrats.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde
    Richard Raffan (Raffen?) and Del Stubbs have very good "how to" videos.

Bob
    I agree that the Richard Raffen and Del Stubs videos are great sources for learning to turn. You might also want to get Bill Grumbine video too. I have not seen his video but, his turnings are awesome and I would assume his video would be too.

Dave

Had to subscribe to DIY

When I saw they had a series on basic woodturning. Will check into the video and book sources you guys mentioned. Thanks!
    My first tools arrived today: a 5 pc Henry Taylor set from LV and a pen mandrel. The lathe won't be here til the 30th and Amazon has not shipped the bed extension yet. Hope they don't pull one of their "it's coming soon/maybe" stunts on the extension!