View Poll Results: Vote for Planer

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeWalt 735 (Remember this one is much more expensive)

34 42.50%
  • DeWalt 734

6 7.50%
  • Rigid R4330

17 21.25%
  • Ryobi AP1301

1 1.25%
  • Other

22 27.50%

Thread: Which Planer?

Post Which Planer?

I am looking for a benchop Planer. I am asking for some sage advice as to which one to pick...

Here are the ones I have been looking at:

DeWalt 734
    DeWalt 735 (although this one is more expensive than the others)
    Rigid R4330
    Ryobi AP1301

When replying and voting bear in mind I'm looking for value. I am not a professional, I just want to be able to thickness plane stock for home projects and family gifts; at least for now that is.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 05-29-2010 at 2:02 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

The 735 is the odds on favorite but as you note a good deal more expensive.

My order:

Rigid
    Ryobi

I think your first hurtle is deciding whether to make the leap from the 734/Rigid price to the 735. I think the 735 is worth the extra money but everyones view of value is different.

I owned the ridgid for 3 years and have a buddy that has the 735. The only advantage the 735 has over the ridgid is the fan inside to blow out the chips. Both leave a very nice finish and seem to hold up well. The 735 requires the purchase of the infeed an outfeed tables other wise it is a "snipe master" DAMHIKT. After you shell out the $650 for the 735 and tables you could buy the ridgid and 3 extras sets of knives and still save $200. To me it is a no brainer. However if you could have picked up a 735 for $200 like others were months ago then that changes everything. But the 2 speeds on the 735 dont do anything for me. Both are loud buggers though. Save your money and buy a real planer from grizzly, the 15" with straight knives. If I was going to spend the $650 on the 735 I would save the extra $350 and but a 15" they are a completely different machine.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 05-29-2010 at 6:22 PM.

What you may find is people suggesting what they own, such as I will do.
    I have $900 into my DW735 with a Byrd Shelix, and am more than happy with that.
    I don't have room for a floor model, so this one on a flip table is perfect.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The Ridgid in my opinion is the best bang for the buck out of the list. It really does do a fine job and I have all but eliminated the smallest amount of snipe. IMO eliminating snipe completely in a lunchbox planer is a myth. Maybe the only way is to build a stand for the planer with infeed/outfeed tables at the proper height that extend about the length of the board being planed. Even then I think most planers will still leave a tiny bit of snipe, whether others admit it or not. Im in no way a big Ridgid tool fan but have been very happy with their planer and router. The price is right on both those items.

I have the Ridgid and really do like it, it comes with the infeed and outfeed tables and it has a 3 blade head.

It makes very smooth cuts but it will not handle a really deep cut but I really don't see that as a problem for my home use.

The only problem I have had with it in 2 year was the head was lowering down as you used it. I found the problem and fixed it and have had no problems with it after that.

I do not have much room in my shop and have it mounted to a swing down table that slides under the bench.

The price is really good for what you get.

Blog Entries
    I had the Ridgid also. Used it about (5) years. It planes well, good dust collection, easy to change knives, Knives are double edged so buying a pair is like getting two pairs.

I bought mine based on a review of lunchbox planers by American Woodworker Magazine.

I would day the only negative for the Ridgid is that it's heavy. It weighs abour 85 pounds. Would probably be best if it was set up to where you didnt have to move it around too much or put it on a stand or a cart of some type.

PHM

Another happy Ridgid owner here too.

I haven't used them all, but I took a close look a while back and bought a 735. Closest thing to a floor model available in a bench top. It has some great features that make it a pleasure to use. If money is tight and bottom line is the driving factor, get the rigid. They all plane wood after all. If you have the cash seriously consider the 735. Four posts, nice depth gauge, three knife head, chip ejection, nice extension tables, its got a lot going or it.

As a side note I bought a used DC-380 about three months after I bought the 735, cost me $350, I haven't used the 735 since. Do consider the used market if you have the space and power for a floor model.

Rikon

I just ran across something that made me go Hmmmmm.

I was browsing online and came across the Rikon 25-010 10" Planer/Jointer

I realize that it is only a 10" planer, but the price I found was $683. That's not much more than the DW735 and I would also have a jointer then.

Is anyone familiar with this tool? I have heard that Rikon is generally an ok discount brand.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I agree with Peter Quinn. I own both a Dewalt 735 and Delta DC-380. I don't ever use the 735. The 735 with the stock knives takes too long to plane 12 or 13 inch wide heart pine boards. The dc-380 had no trouble planing them.

Blog Entries
    I should add that my Ridgid Lunchbox Planer was a TP-1300, I'm of the understanding it has been replaced with a newer model.

I agree with Peter and Wayne in that a stationary planer like the Delta DC-380 is a huge upgrade over a lunchbox planer.

PHM

I have the DeWalt 735 couldn't be happier. Probably the most popular and the size is nice.
    -=Jason=-

I vote for the Makita....

Blog Entries
    I voted 734 as you are looking to save a few bucks. I have run one for about 5 years and it has always done well; 3 knives, adjustable tables and a carriage lock. The 735 has ruled this roost for years and years but has gotten financially silly. Many folks are happy with their Ridgid and it reviews very well. If I could only afford the Ryobi, I'd wait (no offense intended to any Ryobi owners).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler