Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color mapping without dithering?

Color mapping without dithering?

I like to implement multiple burn layers in my items for relief detail which requires me to color map in the driver. The solid colored layers are taking their power settings but it also looks like they are dithering too which I dont want. And on second look, black is doing the same thing. Is there something I have missed in my driver to disable the dithering or is there some step in Corel that would help this happen like I want? Can I map power settings to layer number instead of color somehow?

It is as if I want all of my layers sent to the table as black, but with different power settings.

So how do I get rid of my weave on solid colors?

GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

I just found this in Corel's print output. Perhaps I need to experiment with printing all colors as black and/or output color as RGB perhaps? Of course all lines should be vector, but I am not sure what the softwares are doing with the color fill. That must be my problem.

Blog Entries
    You need to set your Corel desktop to use an RGB colorspace. What's most likely happening is you're outputting a color that looks similar to your Mercury colorspace, but it's off by a couple of notches... any time that happens, the driver is going to try and dither the output to match up with your "desired" color.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I dont think it's "dithering" as you put it , I often get that pattern when deep engraving using vector fills on stuff like perspex, either that or lines or ridges. But perhaps it is doing something , try other dither patterns and the diffusion mode to see if it changes.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Another way to help smooth out multiple passes is to use different DPI/PPI settings for each pass. The different resolutions will have different dither patterns and smooth each other out. It's not ideal but helps.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have still not figured this out. I am applying a solid color in Corel so doesnt that make it a vector fill? Or does the laser raster solid color anyway/always? Print Preview shows colors, not grayscale.

Selecting Manual Color Fill allows you to map colors to speed/power but it does every layer on a separate pass taking much longer, but it also seems to still dither the fill anyway right now. It seems to me that I should be able to find a method where I can etch the entire thing in one pass using varying power.

The first image is what I am trying to duplicate from my original vendor who was using a Mercury table as well. All you can see is what appears to be the grain of the wood. The second is my best attempt on my machine and what you see is squares and what appears to be an X by X dither pattern.

I havent tried this yet, but I wonder if rotating the wood grain parallel to the laser movement axis would change what I am seeing. Heck, perhaps I have some specs of dust on an optic somewhere but that would only mess up a single dot, right, not reproduce a pattern that seems to scale with dpi.

This isn't a solution to your problem but might make your engraving look better--try inverting the image.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by James Terry View Post
    I have still not figured this out. I am applying a solid color in Corel so doesnt that make it a vector fill?
    Is there such a thing as a vector fill? I think the fill would be rastered, but
    I admit that my knowledge of Corel is pretty limited. So is my knowledge
    of vector drawings. I really don't know the answer to that.

But I just went and set up something for the Mercury. These aren't the
    numbers I usually use, I just did it for illustration. My machine is miles from
    here so I can't give you the info I'm using.

Using a color scheme like this, I print out grayscale images and the only
    lines I get in the engraving are the ones left by the wood grain itself.
    It is really nothing more than a gray step wedge with various power
    settings applied to it. You will also need to tweak it to start, and each
    type of wood may need different numbers.

I saved this as a .MER file and any time I want to do something with
    a 3D effect (2.5D, really) I'll desaturate the image, adjust the levels and
    contrast and use this .mer profile so it will engrave at different levels.
    Also works fine for black and white images, as they'll only laser on full
    power or no power (if white is set to 0 power)

don't know if this helped or muddied the waters more..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree, the only way to make happen what you want (varying power during a single pass) would be to use the 3D function and use different shades of gray.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Vector fill

Vector fill is done in a true cad program as lines set at a spacing of less than then width of the laser. then change colors and set power or speed to color. do all the time. But not in coral in a cad program, like autocad, designcad or cimcad. send me a copy of file and will do a demo for you
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Szegda View Post
    Vector fill is done in a true cad program as lines set at a spacing of less than then width of the laser. then change colors and set power or speed to color. do all the time. But not in coral in a cad program, like autocad, designcad or cimcad. send me a copy of file and will do a demo for you
    joe
    That pretty much removes dithering and even DPI from of the picture. It would also be much slower as the laser is in vector mode and not raster mode.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Eureka!

I am pretty sure that I resolved my problem, but not yet so sure why. What I mean is that I found my improved output but I am not sure why it is a problem to begin with. It suggests that there is more going on with my beam than just a focused micro dot.

I havent yet come across any pertinent reading regarding wood grain and lasers, but simply, I adjusted so that the grain of the wood is parallel to the travel of the laser head. No more boxes.

This tells me that the laser beam is either not perfect or is making some 'lines' deeper than others. When perpendicular to the wood grain, ugly dither-like line patterns emerge. When done with the grain, I guess it is hidden.

So is the dot width actually making a semi-circle crater in the wood such that it is deepest in the center and lightest on the edges? Then for each line, there ends up being a line of material at the edges of the beam that form a high point or a ridge that was noticeable against the grain? Perhaps my beam is out of focus? Perhaps there is dust in the beam path?

The unwanted dither-like problem presenting itself:

The "fix" by adjusting the wood grain. Grain hides the error?

Ive always been of the opinion that ridging is due to slight misregistration cos of material moving , expansion and contraction due to laser heat locally where its being engraved and the re engraving of dross from the last scan pass.
    I do moulds for spin casting where surface roughness is an issue - so I use double sided tape to hold down the item , go a little slower and then use a polishing pass or 2 after (much lower power , much higher speed) and this helps but doesnt actually totally stop ridging and patterns.
    We have also used patterned postscript fills to make the background pattern a "feature"
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    James,

I actually would have expected the opposite, if anything... patterns when going with the grain, none when going against. I'll have to think on this one a bit when time permits and see if I can come up with a logical reason (and possibly some useful tests)...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Rodney

It was also our practice to use post script fills to improve the appearance of such molds.

If I use a clean up pass I usually do it at a different resolution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7