Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T/G flooring.....

1. Just for future reference when we run our door material at work on the shaper in 10' plus lengths the in feed side of the fence is spring loaded to keep the boards tight against the outside fence. Once the out feed fence is sent to the cutter you can run any width piece you want just by setting the outboard fence to the finished dimension you want to the out feed fence and your good to go.

With this type of setup your boards can vary in width but once you run them thru they will be consistent in width.
    Last edited by Alan Bienlein; 07-28-2012 at 2:02 PM.

I did look @ trying something like that but for the dimensions I'm running and the frequency I'll be doing this type of work I decided it was too much of a hassle. Finding the apex of the cutter and the leveling both fences with a test piece for that profile then take the width of the test piece, rip some stock to make up the difference of the new width, slide it test piece and clamp the back fence down has been working very well for me. I just have to run everything using that width @ once due to set up errors.

More than one way to skin a cat and thanks for the heads up. I have doors in the distance future so I may incorporate your idea then.

V/R dave
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 07-28-2012 at 2:28 PM.

Hey all,

I'm down to the relief cuts. How deep should they be? I'm using a 5 hp woodmaster.

Most I've seen are just under 1/8", maybe 3/32"?

Thanks Peter! Kinda what I was thinking as well

Finally got a few boards nailed today. What you see took me and my son 7 hours to figure out and lay. Hope we are past the learning curve. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the update David!!

I remember when you started this thread, and am looking forward to pics of the finished project. Its quite a project, but can imagine how satisfying it will be every day you use it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Carl. Yeah it's been a while, I almost gave up after I had the back surgery. Only thing that kept me @ it is the satifaction of doing it myself, no matter how long it takes.

The floor went done very well. Very few gaps, and the ones that I do have came from snipe coming off the shaper that I didn't notice. Very minor. My son came up and helped with the hard bending and kneeling. We had a very large learning curve from lay out to putting nails in the guns. LOL I hope that we have made it past all of that.

I looked @ the rental tools available in a few places including the big box stores. I was under impressed so I bought the Freeman floor nailer and the Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer. Tool review pending.

Hurrican Sandy is blow our way so as usual other things take priority!

Looks great David. Glad to see its coming together for you. Hope Sandy misses you, Hope she misses me too! Doesn't look that way, but I can hope!

Thanks Peter, if it wasn't for you and few other folks pointing me in the right direction I wouldn't have gotten that far!

I don't think it going to miss anyone on the east coast. Fired the generator up I will have all the essentials less hot hatyer. I tricked myself and got a smart water heater of course it has mag contacts sit there and cycles on and off LOL.

David,

Just read this post for the first time and I gotta say I'm impressed with your fortitude on this project! That looks like a heck of a lot of work. Hope your in that house awhile and can enjoy all that labor of love. Also hope you guys on the east coast come thru this storm without major problems. Good luck and thanks for taking the time to chronicle your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rodoracio View Post
    David,

Just read this post for the first time and I gotta say I'm impressed with your fortitude on this project! That looks like a heck of a lot of work. Hope your in that house awhile and can enjoy all that labor of love. Also hope you guys on the east coast come thru this storm without major problems. Good luck and thanks for taking the time to chronicle your project.
    Thanks for looking Tony. Fortitude LOL, I think its stubbornness, folks told me it was a lot of work of course I knew that but,.................. not really LOl It will be great when it's done. The floor is coming out pretty level so ........... I'm thinking of hand scraping instead of sanding. I don't think it will take that long and of course I have the cabinet scraper and hand scrapers already. No need to rent a sander right! HAHHA well see I'm not so sure!

Blog Entries
    Your flooring project is really looking good David.

Great job.

PHM

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!

For those interested couple of shot after the first top coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images