Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burned cuts on tablesaw.

Burned cuts on tablesaw.

Please help. I'm burning maple when I make rip cuts. Both sides of the cut burn. I must have some sort of alignment issue, but I can't figure it out because both sides burn. I've used an alignment guide. The miter guage is parrallel to the saw blade. The fence is parallel to both, maybe even 1 thousandth wide at the back of the blade to avoid binding.

I have a riving knive, and it is centered, and about 5 thousandths narrower than the blade on each side.

I'm stumped. I'm aobut to just start experimenting with tweeking the fence and seeing what happens, but it took me the better part of a day to get everything so close. I have tried other pieces of maple, and other woods, and they also burn. I don't have an extra blade but there doesn't seem to be any warp in the blade according to the alignment guage.

Any help before I start experimenting would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Are you using a rip blade (24 teeth or less)? Maple, cherry and other burn-prone woods call for a 24T blade in my shop. With things like oak, beech and walnut I can get away with a 40T but rarely do this as blade changes take all of about 70 seconds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'd say either using the wrong blade, feed rate is too slow or your blade needs to be cleaned/sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Theaker View Post
    I'd say either using the wrong blade, feed rate is too slow or your blade needs to be cleaned/sharpened.
    My thoughts exactly.

also, a dull blade will burn wood as it cuts so much slower. And having build-up of resins on the blade can also burn the wood.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

sounds most likely to be a dull and/or dirty blade

Keith, I go along with a blade issue.

Sam

I have a general use blade and if I try and rip with it on anything but pine or soft wood I will get some burning. If I put my rip blade on there is no burning on any wood I rip. I have a Jet contractor TS and it does not have a lot of power.

My general use blade is a Freud Premier Fusion and my rip blade is the Freud Glue Line Rip, both are great blades.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm a little bit worried about the blade issue. The blade I have is a brand NEW Forrest WWII. It didn't feel dull when it gave me a little finger cut the first time I installed it!

I have used a different WWII on my old Delta contractor saw, and had no problems with burning. But I've moved up to a Sawstop PCS, and put this new blade on it when I set it up. I don't have my old WWII back from sharpening yet, so I don't have it to compare against the new blade.

Do you think the increased power (3HP vs 1.5) of the PCS is causing the burning and that I should buy a rip blade?

Thanks,
    Keith

Have you checked to make sure your fence is flat?

Keith, when I plan on ripping alot on my tablesaw I use a glue line rip blade, I get very little burning with dedicated rip blade and a good setup. Using a combo blade, I usually end up with some burning when ripping as feed rate is critical. I very seldom use my combo blade anymore, as 95% of my table saw work is ripping stock. A good scms station has all but eliminated any crosscutting on my tablesaw.

Could the blade be dirty? All you'd need to do to get it that way is to cut some pine. A dirty blade behaves like a dull blade, except that you can clean it and make it behave better. Increased power should not increase burning.

Maple does burn more easily than most wood. I assume your previous good results included maple?

Blog Entries
    I'm going to sway from the crowd a little. While I agree with the other assessments, you said it was a new Forrest WWII which tells me that it's sharp. Yes, there could be an alignment issue, but you said it was maple - and maple does tend to burn far easier than other woods.

I wouldn't overthink it by buying a new tablesaw. I tend to just put it in a vice (and bench slave if it's long) and use a card scraper or plane to take it off but I've heard that some people cut a just a tad wide and then take the final thin cut. I can't say whether this works but it's certainly a trick used at the router table with naturally burning woods.

Blog Entries
    If your blade is relatively new, I wouldn't suspect the blade. Yesterday I ripped a piece of 1-1/2 maple 14" long on my Craftsman TS with my Freud LU82M with no burn marks whatsoever. This is a 60 tooth blade. However, normally I use a 24 tooth ripping blades for such cuts. In this case, I only needed to make one rip cut before switching back to crosscuts.

What method did you use to align the blade with the miter gauge slot? A cheap dial indicator will tell you more about alignment than any other method. I would still suspect alignment or wood that was not dry.

Another factor is technique. With a blade with a high tooth count when making a rip cut you have to let the saw cut at its own pace and keep the motor rpm's high. If you have plenty of Hp and the saw still bogs down during your rip cuts, then you might have slipping belts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Does the burning occur on crosscuts too? You might try raising the blade a bit to see if that helps.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....