Thread: The Votex is Strong with this one

The Votex is Strong with this one

It's not mustard or mayo colored but it spins around and right now makes a whistling sound instead of a sucking sound.

Even though I use a dust collector when sanding, there still is some dust floating around in the air. I don't want to have to wear a dust mask the entire time I'm in the shop so I have been looking on CL for a furnace blower. One finally came up on CL and I quickly picked it up last week. Pulled out some scrap plywood that I have set aside for jigs and cleared off the TS and MS. A couple of hours and a few design modifications later I have a dust filter. I used two different filters together to collect the fine as well as the coarse dust particles. I placed the filters on an angle on the inlet side to make use of the entire filter. I am also thinking about hooking up a duct to the outlet side and running the pipes to opposite side of the shop to blow the air back toward the filter.

I was able to test it out on a small project were I had to use a router and an orbital sander. When I was done the filter was brown and I didn't see any dust particles floating around the lights like I used to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks really good.

My wife recently bought me a Jet dust filter and it is amazing how dirty the filter was after only a week. Funny thing is that after I unpacked it I was disappointed with the simplicity of the unit. Mine is like yours except for a fancy paint job and a timer and a heck of a lot more money (kinda a rip off but oh well)!

I have gotten intothe habit of turning it on as soon as I go into the shop, and it sure makes a difference.

Looks pretty good and will do the job. I have a PSI unit hanging from the ceiling. It is amazing how much dust it picks up out of the air.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

4. Been thinking about doing that also.Just haven't took the time.

Have you thought about putting 2 filter's on it?

Nice job. Since I got my Jet, I have to blow out the filter about every other week--think about how much of that I would have breathed,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Maue View Post
    I used two different filters together to collect the fine as well as the coarse dust particles.
    Looks like a nice job! I've been looking for one of those giant 4' high wind tunnel looking fans, just to prop in my door while working, open garage door, and just pull the airflow through the shop for dust.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Gosh, I love a Star Wars influenced post title. Really cool filter.

Can anyone comment on options for filter media?

I saved the blower from my old furnace and plan to make one myself, but I have a feeling the furnace filters let the truly fine stuff right on through. I was hoping to build something with a furnace filter as a pre-filter, and something in the 0.2 micron range in second position. Any ideas and/or sources?

Or do the furnace filters just get "seasoned" after a bit?

Walmart, Target, Home Centers

Check out the air filters at your local mega retailer or Home Center. Many of them carry filters for air cleaners or furnances that are rated in .x micron range.