Thread: Has anyone seen planking like this?

Has anyone seen planking like this?

I'm putting together a bid for a restoration job and the cabinet doors have a reeded planking for the panels. The planks are roughly 2 1/2" wide and go together with tongue and groove. I've done some searching online but haven't come up with anything yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's hard to see the details of the bead and plank from the photo posted. Can you post a higher res image?

Unfortunately I don't have higher res image. The reeds are essentially 5/8" half rounds. There are 3 per plank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Google up "Tambour".. I'm sure you'll find some products related to the reeded doors.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

custom molding

of course if you can find someone with a molder... custom knives will run about $200 (I just looked up the price at Williams and Hussey) They did have a casing set that appeared to have produce about 2 1/2 inches of similar reeding in the middle so you might be able to find something off the shelf.

Glen, I've thought about producing this myself via a router. Instead of that bit I think I'd use a 5/8" bullnose bit and here's why - there's a gap between each of the reeds, maybe 1/16 - 1/8". It's that spacing that allows for flexibility in the panel width. Since these are t&g planks they're just floating in the groove. If I were to make these myself I think I'd run some 5/8" stock through the bullnose bit and then rip the profile off. I'd glue the pieces to some 1/4" ply and that would be my panel. It already sounds like a pain in the butt!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Depending on the quantity and how close the match must be I would consider having custom knives made. I have had a millshop run a couple of custom profiles of crown for me that they did not even need to make the knives, they were able to use knives they had but charged me a setup fee which they would have charged me if I had custom knives ground. IIRC the setup fee was around $100 and the knives were around $200 if needed. Then a per foot price for the actual work.

It's a lot of money for a few doors but IMO worth it for a whole kitchen/house.

I'd first ask them how committed they are to a (IMO) tasteless panel

I'd think that you could cut this rapidly, enough for a kitchen, with a router by just using a similar setup to making a box joint on tablesaw. Since the pieces are T&G, I'm assuming they blend together so you can't see the 2.5" width, or that isn't the important part? I'd think you could build that panel from two 6" boards maybe, and could bang out enough bf to panel the kitchen in an hour of router passes.

For the cost of custom moulding work, and the time involved, I'd rather just cut 10 spacer blocks, screw up a jig, and start routing.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    exactly what I was thinking of. Shouldn't be that hard to do.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Get a bunch of 5/8" dowels and cut them in half and glue them to a piece of 1/4" ply. Or, do you know anybody with a Belsaw type planer? I'd do it on the tablesaw with a moulding head.