Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I owe a formal apology to those who recommended sliders

I owe a formal apology to those who recommended sliders

I owe a formal apology to those who recommended sliders a couple of years ago when I was defending my Sawstop. I had no idea what a slider was like.

I really used my new Felder sliding saw today making a new bench.
    I finally have the shop remodeled after changing from a SawStop to a Felder slider. I had to re-layout the shop, run new electricals, and redo half the dust collection system. I also built a new cantilever wood rack.
    One of the last things I need is a new mobile bench/assembly table with storage underneath. In the new shop layout I need more work space. This rolling bench will be about 60" wide, 32" deep, and 34" tall. the design will use 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood, will have 21 drawers, two vises, and it will roll on Zambus leveling casters.

I chopped the three sheets into the 23 pieces I need and WOW, I the parts are perfectly square and all of each size part are exactly the same size. How square? I dialed in the crosscut fence with the 5 cut method on a 4 ft by 4ft sheet of plywood. The 4ft long piece from the 5th cut was had only a .003" difference in width from one end to the other. I think that means it would be error of .00075" on 4ft. I doubt I can repeatedly get the wood perfectly aligned to the fence every time, but if I really focus on setting each cut perfect, the cut is SQUARE. This is why I moved to a slider and I'm thrilled.

I still have space issues in the shop and I'm not sure I will keep the saw tight up against the wood rack like it is now. But wow, what performance.

Joe, I haven't even seen a slider in the flesh but from what I have read they are on a completely different level from the American cabinet saw.

I would love to try one sometime.

Pics?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Joe, I'm really enjoying mine, the things that used to be so cumbersome and difficult are now so simple and accurate.

You couldn't convince me to go back to a cabinet saw........Rod.

Wait till the humidity changes. Those tolerances will also change !!

Easy fix for that... air-condition the shop!

Pend this for 2 yrs from now - 4 axis CNC router mill and lathe.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Wait till the humidity changes. Those tolerances will also change !!
    Ha, I live in AZ and AC the shop

Seriously, I think temp is what swings metal and not humidity. We will be entering the humid season, I'll report on any accuracy changes.

Also, the only way to get that level or accuracy is to spend a lot more time making sure everything is perfectly against the fence and clamped. I did this just to dial it in and won't be worrying about that accuracy level for normal work.

Joe, did you ever try the 5 cut test on the SS ?

I would be curious just how much bettter the slider performed?

So Since I'm looking at a slider as well, what are the issues with Humidity? Mine will be going in a garage non AC and I live in Memphis TN with pretty high Humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Ha, I live in AZ and AC the shop

Seriously, I think temp is what swings metal and not humidity. We will be entering the humid season, I'll report on any accuracy changes.

Also, the only way to get that level or accuracy is to spend a lot more time making sure everything is perfectly against the fence and clamped. I did this just to dial it in and won't be worrying about that accuracy level for normal work.

Blog Entries
    what are the issues with Humidity?
    I fail to see how ANY metal is going to change shape with humidity. It's not absorbing moisture so the only possible problem would be rust (and that would be with any table saw). Temperature swings will temporarily change the size of any solid due to expansion and contraction. With proper design of a sliding table the manufacturer should be able to minimize large tolerance variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I fail to see how ANY metal is going to change shape with humidity. It's not absorbing moisture so the only possible problem would be rust (and that would be with any table saw). Temperature swings will temporarily change the size of any solid due to expansion and contraction. With proper design of a sliding table the manufacturer should be able to minimize large tolerance variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Joe, did you ever try the 5 cut test on the SS ?

I would be curious just how much bettter the slider performed?
    The 5 cut method checks for squareness or crosscut accuracy. I never really used the Sawstop for crosscuts. I have a big RAS I use for crosscuts on hardwood. I used the sawstop to rip hardwood and cut sheet goods. My frustration with sheet goods on a cabinet saw was if the factory sheet didn't come with a perfect 90 on the end, it was really hard to get a perfect 90.

I had no idea what a slider was like.
    Just wait until you use a proper panel saw. You'll wonder what fool would ever want to load anything onto a slider.

Now that you're enjoying a slider, how bout sending me that sorry old SawStop???

What is the "humid season" in Phoenix? Double-digits

+2
    I am in Arkansas in a non-air conditioned shop. No issues other than bodily comfort.