Thread: Rosette cutter

Rosette cutter

I thought this was simple I need to make some 2.5" rosettse but see there are kits that take carbide bits and regular cutter. I am a little lost on who makes a good one. This is for around my house so it probably won't get much use. Idealy I would like to get a 2.5 and maybe a 2" or 3" with the same profile. Any recomendations or am I just researching this to hard.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 06-01-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    Great question I have wondered about this in the past as well. I would love to hear about the difference between an American made bit v. ebay chinese bit and the kits.

rosette cutter

Jason, I wanted a rosette cutter myself about a year or so ago. After looking at the prices for them....and primarily a one time or limited use cutter, I could not justify the cost and have since learned to make all I want on the lathe!
    And I might mention as well, more fun also. If you have a lathe, cut a couple of 2.5 or 3" squares of your favorite wood, mount it on the lathe and start
    cutting! You'll soon find how easy they are! I have a couple of other ideas
    as to how to make them all look alike, try using a contour gauge and checking the progress regularly until they are cut the same or using moulding head cutters held in a pair of vise grips at the lathe instead of regular lathe chisels.

I use the non-carbide cutters from MLCS for a one time use for myself. Cut about 30-40 with no issues.

Don't be dumb like me, I cut the first 10 or so with the stock already cut to squares, rip it to width mark them, cut them and crosscut tham later. Cut at about 300rpm and although the entire cut needs to be made with light pressure, make sure the last 1/8" or so before you hit the depth stop is VERY light and you will get a excellent finish.