Thread: Greene and Greene Hall Bench

Greene and Greene Hall Bench

Wow, it has been awhile since I have been on the creek. Busy chasing kids the last 3 years. I'd like to fire up the tools again and spring has got me feeling like taking on a challenge.

I am considering building the Greene and Greene Hall Bench. It's been awhile since I have been able to work on any furniture projects, but we need a hall bench and this bench would suit our entryway well. I plan to use maple for this project although I know it is not traditional. I have a garage full of maple and need to put it to use. I am using a Popular Woodworking Book as a basis for cut lists and joinery although some of the descriptions leave me scratching my head.

I am curious as to the best way to approach making the back legs. Has anyone made this piece? I figure I need to laminate 3 pieces of 8/4 material and then cut them out on the bandsaw with a paper template tape on. I don't have a bandsaw so I need to locate someone in the area who would be willing to allow me to use theirs. Anyone in the Seattle area willing to trade bandsaw use for beer?

A pic is below for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

It is a bear. I believe an experienced builder on Lumber Jocks? described making this...I am working from drawings sold for the bench...no instructions. I used two pieces of app 4/4 and 3/8" planned it where the cut off above the arm does not show...so there are no breaks... it did work..jimmy

It's a piece that is normally set where it is viewed from the front suggesting locating laminations/splices on the sides.