Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Library is Complete

The Library is Complete

So....here's the story.
    We bought an Amish property a few years ago that had two houses on 5 acres. The houses were 30 feet apart, so I decided to join them together with a 30 foot atrium...making it one big long house. Working on the main house, we sorta ignored the north end...waiting for time and money to fall out of the sky.

Over this winter, the temperature dropped to 5 below zero and the plumbing that they ran through the attic, froze solid and burst. While I was at work one day, it warmed up enough to start spraying all over the attic....for 8 hours. The attic insulation became so heavy, and the drywall on the ceiling became so weak, that it all came down. Ceiling....walls.....floor....all destroyed.

The insurance company figured out the claim, determining cost of contractors, and materials...but I asked if they could just write me a check...and I would do all the work...buy all the materials...and get more for the money. They agreed.

So.....The Library was born.

Here's a few "Before" shots....although it is after I had rebuilt the walls, ceiling, tore out the bad flooring....and rerouted the plumbing out of the attic.
    Before_General3.jpg
    General Library
    Before_entertainment.jpg
    Entertainment
    Before_history.jpg
    History
    Before_Sitting.jpg
    Sitting And Visiting
    Before_General2.jpg
    General Library

The Amish like wide-open spaces in their houses, mainly for their gatherings. So I decided that this giant open area would need some partitioning to give the illusion of separate rooms.
    I'm just going to post a bunch of pictures....but I'll just give a basic overview of my method for this project.
    1. All the bookcases and structures are just some fundamental framing that I ripped 2x4 studs in half, and tried to keep everything square as I moved along the perimeter.
    2. All the drywall is 5/8"
    3. All the bookcase and pillar surfaces are 1/4" Oak Ply.
    4. To save money, I made all the mouldings myself from a nice grade of 1X4, and routed with my favorite bits. The Crown and Baseboards are three-piece construction.
    5. All horizontal surfaces are made from 6/4 Walnut and Cherry that I got from an amish sawmill a couple years ago. I have a big pile of it that has been drying in my hayloft. It was a bit warped but it was 7/4 to start....so I just planed it down with the tablesaw.
    6. There are 5 primary new partioned rooms
    a. Entertainment
    b. General Library
    c. The History Section
    d. Sitting and Visiting
    e. My Office.
    Then of course there's the guest bedroom, craft room, bathroom, smoking room, breezeway, video closet.
    Last edited by John Hart; 06-01-2010 at 4:06 PM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Interim Stage

Here's a couple pictures of the "Interim stage" This was an important stage because the insurance company would only give me half the money. Then once I could prove that all the damage was corrected...they would give me the rest.

So these pictures are what I provided them....and then I could move on.
    Interim_entertainment.jpg
    Entertainment
    Interim_Sitting.jpg
    Sitting And Visiting
    ~john

These last pictures are the final ones.

The Bathroom was completely destroyed.
    bath1.jpg

bath2.jpg

bath3.jpg
    ~john

These are pics of the Entertainment Section. We've decided that all books for this area should be antique. Plus some of our own artwork...woodwork...and such. The turnings are mine...except one, which was a gift from keith burns.

The entertainment center is also the partion seperating the entertainment room from the history room
    Entertainment1.jpg

Entertainment2.jpg

Entertainment3.jpg

Entertainment4.jpg

EntertainmentSeating1.jpg
    ~john

Here's a couple shots of the General Library. As you can see...we haven't unpacked all our books yet. (plenty of time for that)
    General1.jpg

General2.jpg

This is the hall leading back to my office, the bathroom and the guest bedroom
    Hall1.jpg
    ~john

Here's a couple shots of my office.
    Office1.jpg

Office2.jpg

I'd like to say that it's messy because of the construction....but really....I'm this messy all the time.
    ~john

Couple of shots of the Sitting and Visiting Area. This is my favorite area...although..I kinda like to just look at it....not sit in it.
    Still figuring out some furniture....plenty of time for that too.

The window seat view is really nice by the way...all woods...marsh...future pond
    WindowSeat2.jpg

WindowSeat1.jpg
    ~john

Last but not least is the History Section. This is reserved for all books related to American and World history. Opposite these bookcases is an 8X8 display wall where we will be framing and mounting old newspapers like the apollo moon landing and Revolutionary War newspapers and stuff like that.

The bricks came from an old silo that I tore down. This was my first attempt at bricklaying.
    history2.jpg

history1.jpg

So that's it...Any questions or if you want more pics...just let me know.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Couple of shots of the Sitting and Visiting Area. This is my favorite area...although..I kinda like to just look at it....not sit in it.
    Still figuring out some furniture....plenty of time for that too.

The window seat view is really nice by the way...all woods...marsh...future pond
    WindowSeat2.jpg

WindowSeat1.jpg

Looks like a lot of work John and it looks good! Congrats!

This future pond is to water the horses I'm sure.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-01-2010 at 4:13 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    .....This future pond is to water the horses I'm sure.
    Another extremely rash assumption by Mr Fitzgerald.....NO HORSES!!!

I want a pond so I can dip my toes in it.

....maybe catch a bluegill or something.
    ~john

Looks great John!!! Amazing job!

Remind me never to hope for "money falling from the sky" if it involves a broken water pipe, ceilings falling in, ruined drywall and ruined floors.

I guess that kind of fits the whole "be careful what ya wish for"

Blog Entries
    It looks great. What an awesome project!

Looks great! Lot of work! Did insurance company give you timeline to complete needed work?

Yeah money falling from the sky invariably requires a lot of work to use. I'm still working on my shop rebuild from insurance money from the hit and run crash into it. The work looks good. I'd like to see it with the books in place.

Thanks guys!

Yeah Britt, the Insurance company gave me a deadline, so I was under a lot of pressure to get it finished...at least the damage repaired. I hit that deadline with lots of room to spare....but the remainder...I imposed my own deadline. I didn't want to quit for fear that I'd never get back to it.

I have too many unfinished projects.
    ~john