Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Library is Complete

Here's the woodshop. The building has a 2500 sq/ft footprint....two levels. The loft is mainly for wood storage and a bunch of junk right now. The lower level is about 1600 sq/ft of shop space....200 sq/ft finishing room.....100 sq/ft diesel engine...generator...compressor room...and the rest is storage space.
    view_of_shop_from_library_yard.jpg

Another view of the shop
    woodshop_north_end.jpg

Viewing south down the south driveway
    view_south.jpg

Another view of the southeast...marsh...woods...future pond
    viewing_marsh_southeast_from_house.jpg

This is standing in the backyard...looking to the southwest
    viewing_southwest_from_backyard.jpg

So that's about it. Hope you enjoyed the tour. I certainly enjoy it every day.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jon, You did good! Especially with $ falling from the sky!

I was wondering... how would you fit in a large flat panel TV next time? *LOL*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    Nice work John!
    My wife and I just moved into a new house. We've got a ton of books and need a bunch of shelving. You're giving me a bit of inspiration here

FWIW, if you've got an extensive collection of books (we've got around 2K), look at a bit of software called Book Collector. It's a library / catalog / database package that will help you keep track of your books and provide a complete list of items for insurance purposes... We bought a cheap-ish bar code scanner for faster data entry (the software looks up modern titles that have bar codes). Manual entry for the older / antique titles is also possible, along with thumbnail cover photos, on and on.

Again, excellent work! Thanks for sharing it!

Always happy to help in the inspiration department Jay!!!
    I think I'll get that software!!! Thanks!!
    Definitely sounds like the way to go.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Wong View Post
    Jon, You did good! Especially with $ falling from the sky!

I was wondering... how would you fit in a large flat panel TV next time? *LOL*
    It's funny...the insurance guy said, "Now, don't go cheap on the construction and buy a flat panel tv!!!!"

('Course then, I'm happy with the TV I have....don't have any time to watch it!!!)
    ~john

Trust me folks..the pictures don't really do it justice. I was there before much of his reno...and it was awesome then!

But only in Ohio can lawnmowing and snowblowing work in the same sentence...
    "with eating, sleeping, snowblowing and lawnmowing as the only real interruptions."

Nice job John...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

John, You have done such an outstanding job on your remodel that all I can do is set back and say WOW, many times over WOW. I like everything about your home site, with one notable exception: it is in the snow belt. BTW, having spent the first 39 years of my life living in Akron, reserve the right to bad mouth Ohio.

Your pond sounds like a good addition to your project, but look out for the mosquitoes. Speaking of land usage, you might check to see if your county has a tax break for agricultural use. I have 4 acres in ag, and pay only $4/acre taxes on it. Just a thought.

I liked your comment about your daughters having trouble with the word work..
    Best Regards, Ken

Great result, John!! Really a beautiful setting, and I love the shop building!

You and the insurance company did good!

thanks again guys.

Ken...it's funny about the girls. I had 20 2X4's out in the shop...and I wanted them to bring them to the library. I could have made 4 trips in about 15 minutes. It took them nearly 2 hours....carrying them one at a time....a girl on each end of a single board....gabbing and giggling....stopping for ice cream...conversations...pets....frequent breaks.

It was hilarious when they announced that they expected to be paid.
    ~john

Sounds like your describing one of the old Family Circus cartoons from the funny pages

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    thanks again guys.

Ken...it's funny about the girls. I had 20 2X4's out in the shop...and I wanted them to bring them to the library. I could have made 4 trips in about 15 minutes. It took them nearly 2 hours....carrying them one at a time....a girl on each end of a single board....gabbing and giggling....stopping for ice cream...conversations...pets....frequent breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    thanks again guys.

I think there are management positions in the girl's future.
    Best Regards, Ken

Most excellent work, John!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great stuff, i guess this means you'll have PLENTY of time for turning now. Nevermind those other unfinished products. Just let the vortex have its way with you.

Thanks guys again....

Alex...I'm trying to avoid the lathe because it does tend to suck me in. But...alas...I failed. I turned something last night.

I guess I'll just have to fit everything else in from now on. awwwww
    ~john

14. Wow, what an incredible amount of work.
    Looks great too. Congratulations.

Totally awesome John ! I especially like that one turning...................

Seriously envious of the total spread !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE