Thread: Bandsaw choices Please help!

Bandsaw choices Please help!

I know from reading responses pertaining to bandsaw recomendations; this question has been asked in one form or another. I still need help as to which bandsaw to buy. I have been researching bandsaws forever, so it seems. One of the problems I have is that for every review that is good it seems there is an equal amount of negative reviews or opinions. I would really appreciate any help I am able to get. My criteria loosely stated are $3,500.00 max although $2,500.00 would be alot easier to live with. I would like to make this my first and last bandsaw (if possible). I do own 2 nationwide fixture and millwork installation companies but this would be for my home hobby shop. To be honest I do not have a set project or use in mind, other than typical bandsaw uses. What I am always afraid of when buying is the thought of someday wanting to use my bandsaw for a project and realizing It does not have the capabilities or capacity. (this could easily be just a mental issue) ! In any event I'd rather spend the extra money on too much bandsaw than not enough. Please help.

What is the main use of the saw? Resawing? Scroll type work? What thickness wood?

size? resaw height, throat depth? Where is the significant importance?

Weight or height restrictions where you plan to place it?

Cut metal too?

Lots of options today...

In that price range you have your pick of some of the best hobby sized saws.

Laguna, Agazzani, Minimax and Felder would be my top choices.

With more criteria as Will points out I will be happy to throw a couple more cents in the thread.

PS there are tons of threads you can search also, we love bandsaws here!

my uses may include curve cuts, resawing ( I have a 13" planer and 8" jointer if that helps on making a decision ). I would like to be able to cut veneers. What i am trying to do is future proof since I am only 38 yrs old and hope to be enjoying woodworking for many years to come. In the $3,000.00 range I saw that Felder had an HB 600 (new/updated) that has resaw of 15 3/4" and throat depth of 22 5/8". Comparing Lagunas 16hd @ around $3000.00 has about the same resaw 16" but only has 15 1/2" throat. That seems like a substantial difference. How much importance should be given to throat depth. I think I have a better understanding of resaw heighth importance. Does it make sense that if my planer is 13 " my resaw height does not need to be much higher? Or am I missing something ? Actually I am well aware that I am missing a great deal of things, first and foremost woodworking education. In any event I still need HELP. FYI - the rep at felder said their machines are all made in Austria and are also branded for a number of other cos. He did make it clear that there bread and butter were sliding table saws not band saws .

With the intro price the Felder seems like an awesome saw for the price.
    Fullerbuilt

First the planer vs resaw height can be an issue, BUT most of the wide "veneer" wood I get has already been through the planer, flat enough to resaw. That may vary with your use. Plus future proofing to ME personally is as much resaw height as I can afford even if there is a planer issue since sometime in the next 20 years you may well get a larger planer.

The Felder is certainly priced right at its intro pricing and though I have never seen one their other machines are great. If the resaw height is enough I would seriously try to have a look at one.

The Laguna line is one of my favorites and the LT18 is a particularly good saw and they do have the best guides out there, in fact I would consider replacing ANY other saws guides with theirs if you do not buy a Laguna. The ones you would be looking at are all Italian saws.

The Minimax are nice and I don't have any issues with them they just never have shown me anything to rise to the top.

One I would really look at if I were you is the Agazzani B-24. 24" throat and 16 3/4" resaw. You want be able to find as much info on them but they are some of the best BS in the world, also Italian. It is not by chance that the guy that wrote the bandsaw "bible" owns one, Maloof had 3 Agazzanis in hs shop before he died. In resawing it is important to have as large a wheel as possible and the 24" wheels on the B-24 make it a beast. The price is around $3300 plus shipping so right in the range of the Laguna LT-18. Talk to Jesse at Eagle tools. Also serch the forum for Agazzani and Eagle tools. I was dead set on a Laguna LT18 for my new shop BUT reading posts here and getting a chance to use a B-18 changed my mind. Not that the Laguna is a slouch or the Agazzani is that much better but the specs on the B-24 for the money are amazing as long as you don't require uber-tall resaw height. The Agazanni and the upper level Laguna saws are both made by ACM, one of the very best BS manufacturers in the world.

One other saw that gets mentioned is the Grizzly G0701 on sale now for $2800, it is a 19" saw. Thier 17" saw designed to compete wth the Italians has gotten excellent reviews but there seems to be no one around that has bought the G0701 yet. In my view a savings of 10-15% is not enough to take a chance on a new comer to the highend BS market and if you ever resell the Grizzly won't bring near what the rest of them will.

There is also the possibility of old iron like Tannewitz etc but for what ever reason I never find old iron at a resonable price or condition when I am in the market.

Also factor in a good carbide resaw blade 200-300 bucks. I favor the Laguna Resaw King but the Lennox Trimaster is just as good, my preference is the Laguna can be resharpened 3-4 times at about $45 each, where I have not been able to find a place that will resharpen the Lennox.

Eiji, i found some old posts from when you were what seems to be in the same spot I am in . You were very interested in the MM16 which after watching the video I too feel near sold on it. What did you end up with?

Thanks Van for the wealth of info. I have heard alot of good things about Eagle tools. I live in Ohio . Would Eagle still be the place to go through for the Agazzani BS? Thanks to all for the ongoing help.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas prusak View Post
    Thanks Van for the wealth of info. I have heard alot of good things about Eagle tools. I live in Ohio . Would Eagle still be the place to go through for the Agazzani BS? Thanks to all for the ongoing help.

Absolutely, not many outlets for this beast and they really go the extra mile. Just things like plotting table flatness, REAL crating and shipping on the spine instead of upright.

One thing about the MM16 or any samll wheeled BS, if you really want to resaw a lot you want 20 plus inch wheels or at least 18", their 20" would be where I would start given the amount of money you are willing to spend. Carbide blades don't like tight turns, which s the reason I think the B-24 is such a great saw in the price range.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 06-01-2010 at 8:31 PM.

10. +1 for Agazzani and Eagle tools. Jesse is great as is my B-20

I agree with Van.... if resaw is your number one priority, you will be using at least 1" wide blades with carbide tips... and they need wide diameter wheels....

I have the MM20 and its a beast at 750 lbs... so while 24" is nice, consider the massive size n weight when you jump up to 24"...

that Felder sure looks nice for the money...its interesting the re saw is much less than the throat depth...hmmmm.... its easy to get more re saw, but its the throat depth that is limited to wheel diameter, at least with 2 wheel bandsaws...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post

that Felder sure looks nice for the money...its interesting the re saw is much less than the throat depth...hmmmm.... its easy to get more re saw, but its the throat depth that is limited to wheel diameter, at least with 2 wheel bandsaws...

Less resaw than wheel size is a traditional saw, it is a recent development for wheel and resaw height to be the same. Torbin at Laguna was a driving force in that arena.

And it s true bigger BS take up more room! If you have concrete the weght is a non-issue once it is in place.