Thread: Making Memories

Making Memories

I haven't turned much lately, but my 8 year old wanted to make some pens as thank you gifts for his Sunday School teachers, so off to the shop we went. You experts out there may look at these and say they are just streamlines, but to me they are priceless: if my son is like me (and every Dad hopes their sons are, but only the good parts), he'll remember the time in the shop with Dad forever - I know I do from when I was little, and I suspect the same holds true for a lot of you.

He was very proud of them as he roughed up and glued in the tubes, and we both turned and polished them up with my hands as a guide. I'm pretty proud of him, too, if you couldn't tell.

The yellow one is yellow heart he picked out from the stash, the purple one is a stabilized dyed box elder burl, and the solo picture is an aluminite homemade mixture I got from a friend.

Thanks for looking (and reading my rambling post)

Michael
    Proud Dad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by michael gallagher; 06-02-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    Michael
    Bellaire, TX

AWESOME

might be the most valuable pens you will ever turn certainly some of the most memorable

there is no substitute for spending time with your son

Michael,

Tell your son he takes after his Dad and did a great job!

I enjoy it when I get to Pearland to spend a little time with my youngest son.....and his new twin daughters!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Michael, nice work on the pens, but no match for the treasured memories you left with your son!! Shop time with kids is special - something I never had with my kids growing up. Wish I could redo those days.....

Now, that is priceless Great job on the pens and an even greater job building memories.

Excellent post Michael! Be sure to let your son know that we all think he did a great job on his pens! His teachers will love them!

Agree with everyone else - nothing better than spending time with family and doing something together that creates good memories!

Let your son know that we look forward to seeing more of his work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think this qualifies as a major gloat! Congatulate your son for me on some beautiful pens.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Very nice pens and a great story to go with them.

Terrific story Michael. Your son did a bang up job on the pens and you certainly have a handle on what's important. Reminds me of teaching my daughters to use a chain saw (and their Mom's reaction). These are the times you will both remember forever.

Michael tell your son he did well on some really nice pens. The time with him is a major gloat and priceless. I remember the shop time building cabinets, jewelry boxes, etc with my son in the shop and now have a wonderful time when I get to spend time my grandson when he visits. I to remember my time with my granddad and dad.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They are great looking pens, and I can only imagine the smile on your sons face. I expect there will be a smile on the teachers face when they are delivered. Keep encouraging him.

Michael, some really nice pens but a superb memory.

Very well done to you and your son.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Congrats on the quality time... Nice work by your son.