Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should baseball have more instant replays?

Don't like the replays? Don't televise the games, -only live games allowed. Get out of the house and support the teams in person.

All pro sports are silly and a waste of time and money, IMHO.

Money has ruined the game.

IMHO, the way to put excitement back into the game would be to pay the winners of the World Series (or whatever) the lucrative salary.

Everybody else would get minimum wage.

Betcha THAT would put incentive back into the game PDQ!

oh _ and +1 to the don't televise the games.
    Baseball, IMHO, is best enjoyed by listening to it on the AM radio.

I had to listen to the Ranger game last night on the radio as the storm the night before took out the cable line. I didn't enjoy it one bit.
    I can actually see it from both sides. It's always been a "live call" sport. Maybe it should stay that way, but I feel really bad for the pitcher. I disagree with asking the scorekeeper to change it to an error, it wasn't an error, at least not by a player. I also feel bad for the ump. He called it as he saw it. But watching the replay, he saw how wrong he was. From all reports, realizing that hit him pretty hard. I was glad he manned up and went to the pitcher in the clubhouse to apologize. I understand he didn't even shower before doing so. I though that was a class act to an unfortunate event.
    But the look on the pitcher's face when he heard the safe call was priceless! To his credit, he didn't blow up. But that smile that said "You're kidding, right?" was perfect. And he showed kids everywhere how to react to a bad situation. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I don't watch much sports, so not a lot of impact for me - but I don't see why an obvious mistake cannot be corrected after the fact.

In this case, it does not seem like it was a difference in interpretations (balls and strikes), but a simple mistake. A simple, obvious mistake should have a method (maybe not replay) to be corrected when the technology is there to point it out.

Mistakes happen.

Asking from ignorance...

There is no doubt this was a mistake, but apparently it is not allowed to be corrected? No one has the power to fix this call?

In the unlikely event that some ump went rogue and made an obvious bad call that cost the world series title - is there no one who can make it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    the game is way too slow as it is!
    Same with the NFL games.
    How's this? Let either manager appeal a call. The on-field umps head shed and reach a conclusion. Conclusion stands, end of discussion. Again, you win some, you lose some.

Hockey.... All the speed of Basketball with the physical of football and the mental of baseball. I don't like the replays in this sport either.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    I don't watch much sports, so not a lot of impact for me - but I don't see why an obvious mistake cannot be corrected after the fact.

In this case, it does not seem like it was a difference in interpretations (balls and strikes), but a simple mistake. A simple, obvious mistake should have a method (maybe not replay) to be corrected when the technology is there to point it out.

Mistakes happen.

Asking from ignorance...

There is no doubt this was a mistake, but apparently it is not allowed to be corrected? No one has the power to fix this call?

In the unlikely event that some ump went rogue and made an obvious bad call that cost the world series title - is there no one who can make it right?
    The commissioner has a lot of power and, I believe, could ultimately make that decision by diktat. But it is, to my knowledge, wholly unprecedented. Selig has already stated that the call will not be overturned. Perhaps someone with more baseball knowledge can weigh in on the historicity.

The ironic thing is, that in a season that has already seen two perfect games, the non-perfect game has gotten the most attention and seems set to have the most impact on the sport. I consider myself fortunate just to have watched it live on television. It seems like it will make indelible impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I think that baseball should allow 2 instant replay requests per game per manager for any call but a ball & strike.
    I'd also like them to speed up the game by not allowing a batter to step out of the batters box once he steps into it.
    What do you think?
    Dennis
    And let the batter carry the bat with him around the bases. Of course the infielder would need something to make it fair...maybe caltrops.