Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Question

Pricing Question

Now that we have succeeded in filling up the side board, the hall closet, our desk tops, the kitchen table and any other vacant spot with all this turning "art", how do we sell it. I mean what kind of pricing do you put on something like "Aladdin's Other Lamp" for instance.

Man as slow as I am if I priced a turning based on turning time at my shop rate it would scare customers to death.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I am attending my "first" craft fair as a vendor this weekend and I don't have a clue as to what kind of pricing to put on my "stuff". Pens are not a problem got those priced competitively.

Someone jump in here and give me some ideas.

"The best things in life are not things."

its a tough market, if you price to low it will effect what you can charge in the future, you will continue to climb the learning curve

good luck, enjoy the people who are interested, do not put pressure on yourself that you have to sell, some people like to haggle and are not buyers, they just like to haggle

here are some bowls that was at a show a few weeks ago. They went from 25.00-150.00.I even saw a large walnut bowl priced at 300.00. Nice bowl but I think it went back home with him.The nice Box Elder in this picture was priced at 150.00.Nice bowl but I couldn't afford it.I guess it all depends on how bad you want to sell.Don't give it away but work with the customers and you should do really well.Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Donny
    Attached Images Attached Images

James , When I did my first art show last year ,I had items that I wanted to sell birdhouse ornaments, half way through the show what I had left I lowered the price a little.
    My bowls I set a price and did not change it , I looked at the market I was in , the way things are people are tight with there money And priced it that way ,I figured If it was too high I would lower it some the next show. That was my game plan , made some money bought some tools.

Good Luck

Craft Show

Bowls in craft shows tend to be a difficult sell cuz you can't get what you deserve for them. I don't have much experience with shows, but that's the impression I get from others. I did one craft show, and the customer base recognized that what I was selling was worth what I was asking, they just didn't come to the craft fair ready to drop $70 or more.

I think it's a situation where you need to decide if you want to get what you think you deserve, or if you want to get them out of your booth even if it's "at a loss".

Hutch

P.S. I just started selling at our local farmer's market. The mentality of the customer base is only slightly "spendier" than at a craft show, but I am not going to price any bowl under $60. I have a lot of other less expensive stuff in the $12-$25 range for actually making money. I consider bowls high end products.

Matt is right. I went to my last craft show and didn't sell a bowl. I did sell a couple of small vases but what did sell was my mini birdhouses, ornaments, pens, toothpick holder key chains, etc. People just aren't spending $50 plus for the big ticket items at least around here.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

And for petes sake PLEASE dont undersell yourself!! If you are ready to ask for money for your work then do as everyone has suggested and be competitive. Not selling an item doesnt usually equate into a reflection of your work but underpricing just to make a sale not only hurts you but everyone down the line.

A person makes up their mind to buy an item almost immediately, their finances come second, if they want it they will find a way.

Good range of items shown by Donny. Similar market to Bernie's here I think. Usually the small items at $12 to $29 sell best, little bowls for change or keys, very nice stoppers (he said modestly) at $27, etc. One of my best customers may spend up to $150 for herself or her daughter, but likes a selection of items to about $30 as gifts for others. I'm slow too James, but the idea is to get it sold without just "giving" it away to bring in enough cash to support the hobby and make room for more "stuff". Also good to donate a few nice pieces to charitable auctions. Makes ya feel good. Hope you do well at the craft fair.
    Richard in Wimberley

I have NO experience selling my turnings, but here are my thoughts.

The fact that I do not do this for a living has nothing to do with pricing. To take that approach interjects an invalid factor into price. Price should be simply what constitutes "fair market" - i.e., what a willing buyer will pay, and a willing seller will accept.

Bowls and other smaller utility items are in competition with imported items, and other sources. Though I have not given this much thought, I really do not see how one could justify selling a bowl for $50-60. The material, whether you buy it, or use your time to harvest it and block it for turning, is at least 1/3 of that price. Then the turning and finishing, use of sandpaper, time, finishing materials, etc. all add into the equation, as well as the "art" factor - not everyone walking down the street can do what you do.

In the end, I believe one needs to find a market that will have buyers willing and able to pay a fair price. If that cannot be done, then I would not underprice my turnings just to sell them. I would rather keep them or give them away.

Folks with money still are spending it. But, with that ever increasing portion of the population for which things are tight, they simply do not constitute a valid market for handmade items with quality and value. Better to wait that one out! In the right environment, those things will sell, but I think those markets are increasingly rare.

When I put some of my turnings at the local guild gallery, I priced them high. My thought was that a "common tourist" (not sure what that is??) coming through wouldn't spend $150 for one of them anyway, but a financially capable buyer might well pay $350 if the piece spoke to them.

As Ken said "A person makes up their mind to buy an item almost immediately, their finances come second, if they want it they will find a way."

Just my thoughts - worth exactly what you paid for them!!

John, just for clarification purposes, do you think $50-$60 for a bowl is too low? Thanks.

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    John, just for clarification purposes, do you think $50-$60 for a bowl is too low? Thanks.

Hutch
    Yes, Matt. Sorry! I guess my statement could have been interpreted differently.

That's what I thought. Cool!

It depends on the show. If it is a high end 'Art' show, you can charge more. If it is a smaller 'craft' show, probably less. I sell bowls in the 6 inch range for $10 to $20. 12 inch bowls up to $100, and 14 inch bowls about $150 and up. Mine are utilitarian. You need tourists for good sales this time of year. You can always price high and be willing to barter.

robo hippy

The other thing to consider it that a craft fair isn't a garage sale. You're a businessman, and you must cover your cost of doing business as well as turn an acceptable profit. Taxes take a pretty good percentage right off the top, as can booth rental. So if and when you barter, don't cut into your bottom line.

I've chosen not to sell my duck and turkey calls at fairs and shows because people tend to expect to pay less than they would pay for the same piece if they had contacted me via my website and commissioned it.

I'm one of the guys that probably prices them too low. But, cash buys a lot more groceries than bowls do. One member of our club doesn't sell anything lower than $250. I just sold a 16" natural edge curly maple bowl for that. It's my new high record. I did not sell it at a show, it was a request. I think you will pay for a booth on $25 items, but really make the profit for the show on $100 to $150 items. My favorite saying about any craft, "There will be no one more excited about an item than you." In other words, to most people, they are just looking at a wood bowl. Nothing more, nothing less. A $250 wood bowl on a shelf is admired by a VERY, VERY small percent of the public.