Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hush money second try.

hush money second try.

refined it a bit.

Randall, why don't you tell us about it?

Are you saying that this is a carving??
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, check out Randall's web page if you haven't already to see his work...this is a carving out of a solid block of wood and then painted! I don't know what is more amazing...the actual carving or the painting detail. The colors make it so lifelike.

Randall, I presume the money is not separate, but part of the envelope and you painted the envelope to appear transparent so the $50 bill shows through? Great work, as always!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

That's a carving??? That is amazing if so. I agree with the poster above. I don't know which is more impressive, the carving or the painting.

Kevin, thanks. Randall, that is simply incredible. I wouldn’t have thought such a level of detail was even possible. The corrugated cardboard box blows my mind, let alone everything else!
    I’m speechless

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

thanks....hand carved from one block of vermont white pine and hand painted with ink and acrylic. i was a little hesitant to try and do the envelope see through but i'm liking it now.

really nice illusion. great paint job, yes the see through turned out very convincingly . ... i am just curious,,,i visited your webpage, and see you carve books and newspapers, and cards,,, and money... how came this ? it is truely unique, and i am curious, if you like to share, about the inspiration, motivation behind your carvings...

I am sure you were a counterfeiter in another life, absolutely incredible.
    Tom

well..first off....they are not even close to accurate. they are paintings of money. very convincing from 3 or 4 feet away but up close you can see right away its not real...which is the idea.

in 1993 i got a commission to carve an "ambo" which is a lectern for a church in seattle washington. its carved from a single glued up block of mahogany except the bible rest. it was carved separately. i became so enamored of this very crudely carved book i gave up my very lucrative architectural carving business and started carving books. after i grew tired of that i started carving anything made of paper....and here we are.

as stated previously......there is no easier task in the world than getting an artist to talk about his work.

Last edited by randall rosenthal; 06-05-2010 at 5:17 PM.

yes, i can understand how the first book carving made you wanting to do it better next time, a unique story behind it though... thank you randall for sharing..

got any politicians stopping by with their hands out?

Absolutely amazing! Belongs in an art museum!
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 06-06-2010 at 11:42 AM.

it will be appearing at SOFA west in Santa fe next month. SOFA (sculptural objects and functional art) is a series of shows in New York, Santa Fe, and Chicago. worth looking into. a lot of very good work.

i actually have two gallery shows at once...one starting next saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    it will be appearing at SOFA west in Santa fe next month. SOFA (sculptural objects and functional art) is a series of shows in New York, Santa Fe, and Chicago. worth looking into. a lot of very good work.

I edited, I intended to say museum, not gallery. It belongs in a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post

Excellent! I'll be up on Saturday.

Andy Rooney