Thread: Dewalt xrp 18v drills and drivers

Dewalt xrp 18v drills and drivers

Hi guys,
    I am a professional carpenter looking to buy a new drill/driver and an impact driver.
    I have had Panasonics with good luck, but the batteries are shot (had one battery rebuilt, not going there again), and the Dewalt xrp 18v look good because the batteries fit some other tools, and because Lowe's has replacement batts. on sale now. I use these tools every day, and I use them hard.
    So, any other tradesmen with heavy use on these tools out there, please comment on durability, ease of use, comparisons to other drills, etc.
    Thanks.

I have 3 dewalt 14.4 drills that I have used in the installation of CVS pharmacys since 95. Before that I had 6 dewalt 12 volt drills that are still going strong other than the batteries are getting old and new ones are hard to find. They just keep on working. Had a lot of people ask why I had so many drills but when you need to get the job done quick you just put different bits in each one and you don't have to keep changing bits just grab the right drill.

The Dewalt is wonderful if you have the cash go with the 18v lithium ion. I had 14.4 stuff it was my go to stuff and 18v the 14.4 the weight was good the 18 was alwas a little heavy. But the lithium ion is ligher than the 14.4 v and more power than the 18v. The impact driver is the best on the market the drill is a work horse. Your panasonic is a bit smoother but the dewalt is more durable and has a little more power.
    -=Jason=-

All my family that are in the trades use 18v Dewalt, abuse them and they are very happy with them, that said they don't try any of the more esoteric brands. As a hobbiest I have 18v Dewalt too but got deals on them I could not pass up. If cost was the same I would but Dewalt third by a hair. For a full size drill and impact driver set I would pick the Panasonic first, the Makita second. If I used them every day I would probably go with the Panny or Mak sets but if not I would get the one of the three you get the best deal on like I did.