Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer combo

Jointer/Planer combo

I'm looking at getting a combo unit to save space. Any suggestions/warnings?

I know there is JET, are there any others?

I have separate machines now, but started with a Jet 10" combo benchtop unit. After using the separate machine I confidently say the Jet was more of a hassle and health hazard than it was worth. If all you are going to do is work with VERY small and light pieces then it's fine, but if you use any material that has some weight those machines are quick to tip over. I added a small shelf and 100lbs in workout plates to stop that from happening a second time.

If you can get a floor mount 12" combo then I say go for it, I got a chance to play with the Grizzly running a spiral cutter and was shocked at the performance.

Hi, I have a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer and can't say enough good things about it.

Zero snipe, powerful, accurate, high quality machine great surface finish, good space savings and value for the dollar.

Knife changes take a maximum of 5 minutes with no adjustment required.

Clip on table extensions make the machine as large or as small as you require.

I have the digital height readout on mine, settings are repeatable to 0.01mm.

Regards, Rod.

+1 on the Hammer A3/31...I wouldn't part with mine, except to move up to a larger version.

+2 on the Hammer A3-31. Great machine!

If you're talking about the small Jet units w/ universal motor, I'm not sure this would be a good choice. I know someone that got one of these and the tables were impossible to precisely align.

+3 on the Hammer J/P...I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and still going as strong today as the day I bought it.

Scot

Grizzly G0634 here

I have had this for nearly 2 years and am very happy with it. I became enamored with the concept of the spiral carbide cutterhead, and the Grizzly was the only model at the time with this feature. It has been flawless in operation thus far.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

I have the JET 12" jointer/ planer with helical cutterhead, and I've been very happy with it. Note that the 12" machine is quite different than the JET b3nchtop 8" and 10" machines.

10. Another happy Hammer 12" JP owner who wouldn't trade it for anything but a Felder, maybe a Martin, but nothing else out there.

There are quite a few choices for J/P combos and I'm a fan of the format. (I own a MiniMax J/P) Jet and Grizzly started offering some value priced machines a couple years ago and there are number of 'Creekers who opted for them. There are also a number of us who own MiniMax, Hammer and Felder J/P machines which go for a "bit" more cash, but also offer more features and refinements.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First as mentioned the Jet 8/10" combos are cheap and cheaply made.

The Jet and Grizzly combos particularly with helical heads are well received and reviewed in the ~$2500 range.

If you have $1000 or more above that there are some excellent Euro machines (the basic A3-31 is about the cheapest except maybe the Rojek and the former is on sale now for $3358 shipped).

If you are on the verge of building a shop and space is an issue I would look at one of the fine Euro 5 in 1 machines, they look like a lot of money but thay are very well made and actually less money than a "set" of American "design" machines. This praise is coming from a VERY non-combo machine kinda guy!

Totally satisfied Grizzly G0634 owner. Set up perfectly from factory, absolutely no issues with this machine.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Just put the byrd head in my Hammer it is now AWESOME!

twas nice before but the straight knives were tearing my figured woods.
    Fullerbuilt

Eiji, That combo does sound awesome. Does byrd now sell a head specifically for the Hammer or is it a generic 12in head. Or better yet does Hammer offer this as an option?

Has anyone bought the mortising option for the Hammer?

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    Just put the byrd head in my Hammer it is now AWESOME!

twas nice before but the straight knives were tearing my figured woods.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 06-06-2010 at 10:35 PM.