Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: safest tool?

safest tool?

what is the safest tool? a measuring tape? I just cut my finger with a measuring tape. Stanley, 25-foot. doh.

A tool is only as safe as the work habits and skills of the operator.
    In almost 40 years if machining, hobby, and home building I have never once been injured. Yet I do every single thing that all the so called experts tell you not to do. My pinkies are frequently mere milimeters from the blades, I never use a riving knife, I freehand on table saws, I almost never clamp anything on the DP, I work exhausted, I'll work fast, I'll have a beer while working - - yet nary a stich.

It's all in the habits and care you develop not the recipes you invoke.

Oh, oh...

I see "Tape Stop" on the horizon.

Time-clock

I have yet to get hurt punching in. Or out for that matter. I've been mauled to some degree by virtually every other single tool in a woodshop.

Cliff- you're my hero.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-06-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Ask a trial lawyer. There are no safe tools. You could cut your lip on a drinking straw.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-06-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Just about any tangible object if used inappropriately can and will cause harm.

Common sense however saves the day most of the time.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Oh, oh...

I see "Tape Stop" on the horizon.
    Almost made me snort.

Michael
    I hear you I cut my thumb on a tape measure 3 weeks ago and it is just now fully healing up.

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Ask a trial lawyer. There are no safe tools. you could cut your lip on a drinking straw.

Well I have an answer, there are certainly completely safe tools...

The safe tools are the ones you are too afraid to be in the same room with...
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-06-2010 at 10:40 PM.

i spose theres always pure dumb luck

I once wore away a little bit of my finger on a DMT sharpening stoning trying to flatten the back of a chisel. I didn't even feel it while I was doing it. I only knew later when I looked down a saw a bit of blood on the stone, looked at my finger and found a little flat spot that I had ground down.

So cross sharpening stone off the list.

measuring device

I have yet to harm myself with my speed square, but I imagine its only a matter of time.
    My personal best work related injury was when I broke my nose with a crowbar. while standing on the top of a 10 foot stepladder.
    as a friend of mine put it, i had a modicum of good luck, because I managed to not take 3 quick steps backwards off the ladder.

as for tape measures, your comments reminded me of the following story:

A guy is at the dentist, getting a filling, his mouth is full of stuff, and the dentist is drilling and poking and prodding. Every once and a while, the dentist sticks this metal thing in the guys mouth, and pokes it in the hole he's drilling, which really hurts the guy, who complains. The dentist tells him "oh, that can't hurt, its only a measuring device." This goes on for a few minutes, with the guy mumbling his complaints through the mass of tools in his mouth, and the dentist reiterating "its just a measuring device". Finally, the guy has had enough; he sits up, takes the tools out of his mouth and says "I''ll be right back, I'm going to go down to my truck, get my tape measure, bring it up here, and hit you as hard as I can in the head with it. But it won't hurt, because its just a measuring device."

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Robinson View Post
    ....hit you as hard as I can in the head with it. But it won't hurt, because its just a measuring device."

that made me laugh through the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    ... I have never once been injured. Yet I do every single thing that all the so called experts tell you not to do. My pinkies are frequently mere milimeters from the blades, I never use a riving knife, I freehand on table saws, I almost never clamp anything on the DP, I work exhausted, I'll work fast, I'll have a beer while working...
    It's only a matter of time before 'chance' catches up with you. Let's not confuse luck with skill. Would you teach your child to work the way you work?
    -Brian

The safest tools in my shop are the ones that lay, collecting dust, on some shelf. Or those that quit working and I don't have the heart to throw them away.

And, Cliff R. I am surprised and dismayed.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH