Thread: Trout Net

Trout Net

I am an avid fly fisherman and haven't used a net for years because I spent more time trying to get my dropper fly untangled from the net then I did fishing. Brodin came out with a new net bag that keeps the flies from getting stuck in the net. So I figure I would make a net frame and buy the bag.

This was my first time making one but won't be my last. It is 4 plys of cherry with a birdseye Maple handle. 5 coats of spar varnish. I turned the eyelet out of a brass bolt on my wood lathe.

Thanks for looking. Normally I post alot in the turning forum but I knocked down a wall and I have been building kitchen cabinets for some time. Takes away most the play time.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,
    Very nice job on the frame and that thermoplastic net bag is pretty snazzy too.

Bob,

Your net is too nice to put in the water. Just hang it up for looks and keep getting your hooks caught. Now you need a nice wood kayak to go along with it.

I went out for a couple hours today looking for something to put in it. It landed this nice 24" wild brown today. One of the nicest fish I caught all year.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

The net and the brown are beauties.

I assume it is a bent lamination. Could be on my to do list.

Most of my fly fishing is chuckin-n-duckin for Salmon or steelhead but I love being on the river.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe you are right it is a bent lamination. I just cut the shape out of a peice of plywood and use the cut offs as cuals. Worked out pretty easy.

I do some steelhead fishing in the Erie Tribs. This thing almost fought like a steelhead do to a much lighter rod. Wasn't expecting to get one that size.

Bob

Wow! nice net and catch.

Im wondering if you could have steam bent the net. I have some friends that are avid fisherman and would be thrilled to have a nice net.
    I might have to try one myself.

where do you get the net? are those stainless steel staples? and do they come with the net when you purchase it?
    what is the finish?

eiji
    Last edited by Eiji Fuller; 06-08-2010 at 9:31 PM.
    Fullerbuilt

oh I see that that is string attaching the net so nevermind on the staple question. they looked like staples at first
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    Wow! nice net and catch.

Im wondering if you could have steam bent the net. I have some friends that are avid fisherman and would be thrilled to have a nice net.
    I might have to try one myself.

where do you get the net? are those stainless steel staples? and do they come with the net when you purchase it?
    what is the finish?

eiji
    Eiji,
    You could probaly steam build it, but making 4 or 5 -3/16 strips and cauling them together was pretty easy.
    As you noticed I did use thread. Most only use 1 grove around the outside but I used 2 and alternated. I made the groves before I cut the last strip off on the table saw by running it over the router table. I bought the net bag from www.fishwest.com they are a good company to buy from.

Bob

Please bring me a trout. Thank you.

Man o man, that is one nice fish. Didn't know they had trout in PA. Looks like maybe you need a bigger net. I've been fly fishing in Montana every year without a net. I still say you should just hang it up in your living room as it's way to nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mahoney View Post
    Didn't know they had trout in PA. .
    What! We are full of streams and rivers it is mostly Rural with 2 big cities on each corner of the bottom. Mostly stockies but Lots of wild browns and brookies if you go to the right creeks. Wonderful trout fishing all though My dream is to go to Montana for a fly fishing trip.

Bob