Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

7 June 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, I delivered my 2nd chair repair job. This one took me longer because the chair had already been "home repaired" twice. Undoing all the repairs was a job and a 4" long drywall screw through a leg and into the chair frame was less than desirable as well. These folks were told that they were "antique" chairs, and the funny things is that the insides of the chairs are dowels and just a drop of hide glue of sorts. Thinking that these chairs are over 100 years old is a stretch if you ask me...but hey, they are their chairs.

Checking up on family and keeping a watchful eye/ear on my dad's health as he goes through chemo treatments for his very rare type of cancer. Sure is hard to see a loved one go down health wise because of a bad disease called cancer.

Well, that's it for me...what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday I ran to Woodcraft for some last DC parts, spent some time looking for drain tiles that I need to mark for our pending gas main construction, went to the greenhouse with LOML and worked on building a permanent version of my SCMS dust hood.

Saturday night we rode out some really bad storms. Got VERY lucky as the worst went just to the north and south of us. We've been without power since 2:10AM Sunday and the current restoration estimate is midnight tonight but according to a neighbor who talked to a live person, that's a computer guess and they really have no idea because "the whole circuit is out" whatever that means.

Sunday got up to survey the damage and found our only damage was that we lost a really nice 12" dogwood tree. Wind or lightning took 1/2 of it down and I had to take the rest. LOML and I went out for breakfast and to buy some chainsaw chaps. We drove past the small town (well used to be small before Cabelas came to town) just north of us where LOML grew up on the free way and a big part of the roof from the waterpark in front of the Cabelas store was lying on the other side of the freeway. A Lone Star appeared to have lost its roof judging from trusses lying in the parking lot, assuming they were their trusses which probably isn't a safe assumption. Things are really bad up there and they've got the town sealed off unless you are an emergency responder or have ID showing you live in town. Spent the rest of the day cutting up the tree and stacking the wood and brush for disposal.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-07-2010 at 8:57 AM.

Had a bad week at work last week plus one of our adult granddaughters and her two sons age 3 years and 10 months visited last week. They left for home on Saturday morning and our 4 year old great-granddaughter from Phoenix arrived that afternoon.

I did some honey-do's on Saturday and mainly just chilled over the weekend.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've been reading these threads every Monday and enjoying them. Figured I would add my own small accomplishment this week. I don't see a lot of pics in these threads, so if you're not supposed to post them, I apologize and will remove them if asked.

I'm slowing turning a previously rough basement room into a small (I mean small - 16 feet by just under 10) woodshop. The walls were rough concrete and stone foundation walls from 1937. Ceiling height varies 4 inches from one end to the other, and walls all over the place. It's almost like boat carpentry trying to do anything with the space. Also had some ugly plumbing to cover up, and the electrical service. Plus, the irony of having to build something before you have a shop or good tools comes into play.

Anyway, I firred out and have been putting up T-111, and boxing in around the plumbing and electrical. Made these "cabinets" and completed a couple of walls this weekend.

I have to finish the cabinet around the electrical and gas service in the corner here. That bulletin board is covering an empty window opening -- window is on order (awning window).

Here you can see what I'm dealing with in terms of ceiling problems.

Last edited by John Mark Lane; 06-07-2010 at 9:39 AM.

We decided that drawers made more sense than open shelves -- which tend to collect clutter -- in our microwave stand, so I hacked together a pair of drawers and installed them. (finished this weekend, started a week or so ago)

IMG_4549_2.jpg IMG_4550.jpg IMG_4551_2.jpg

(few more details on my website if you care)

Glad to hear you're okay, Matt. Lots of destruction on this side of Lake Erie also -- Leamington, ONT, had a tornado rip through on Sunday morning and did lots of damage.
    "It's Not About You."

Box joints

I built my first ever box assembly using box joints. I know it's not too amazing compared to some, but my router is a foreign tool to me and I'm still learning to use it properly =)
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

Dennis,
    Your Father is in our prayers. For the week end I was setting up a Delta Unisaw. I purchased from an individual who was planning on setting up wood working with his Father. His Dad passed and he never used the saw. Got a great deal on the saw.

Hi, two wood working related items last weekend;

- we went to a Stickley seminar in Toronto, presented by Mike Danial, the Stickley company historian.

Mike had a great slide presentation of historical significance, as well as some very entertaining and informative stories.

We really enjoyed the presentation.

- next item was a monthly wood working forum breakfast, followed by a visit to a members shop.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Had a bad week at work last week plus one of our adult granddaughters and her two sons age 3 years and 10 months visited last week. They left for home on Saturday morning and our 4 year old great-granddaughter from Phoenix arrived that afternoon.

I did some honey-do's on Saturday and mainly just chilled over the weekend.
    Doesn't the visit from the grandkids and great grandkids cancel out the bad week at work?

A nice productive weekend for me, consisting of a lot of yardwork (spreading mulch, clearing out weeds, etc.) and cleaning out the basement. Every once in a while the wife would come down and I'd highlight the pile of things to throw away. Each time she came down, she'd see the pile had doubled in size, would nod approvingly, and head back upstairs.

Also watched Chris Schwarz's Handplanes DVD that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Now that my basement's in better shape, I can go back to filling it with plane shavings.

Picked up an Oneida C950 with 2HP motor with 12" impeller and 3 boxes of sheet metal fittings for $125 at auction. (original bill shows the total around $1800).

I thought it was a nice weekend.

Blog Entries
    Despite the horribly hot and humid weather we experienced pretty much all weekend, my wife and I undertook a massive amount of work around the yard this weekend. We have a high water table in our area and it has caused a ton of tree roots to pop up through the yards surface and has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. It has been pure hell cutting the grass as the roots have to be watched for unless you like your riding mower deck beaten up constantly. Besides that, it had gotten to the point where I could not mow complete areas and the wife had to do them with the walk behind power mower. Well, this year I got around (finally) to renting a stump grinder and I spent hours Saturday morning grinding away all of the roots to below the surface and there were a ton of them. The humidity was in full force and I drank a ton of liquid throughout the day. Saturday night it was off to the dirt track races to spend a little well deserved down time.

Sunday morning, I was out before 7AM spreading over two yards of topsoil that my neighbor brought me to fill in the holes made by the stump grinder. Once that was done, it was fertilizing, seeding and mulching the holes with straw....again with the humidity having no mercy on anyone outside their homes. Tough weekend of work, and I am paying for it today with some mighty stiff muscles, but it will all be worth it in a few short weeks when I can simply mow without worrying about beating up the mower and watching my wife have her portion of the mowing cut down from what was once about an hour to what should now be no more than fifteen or twenty minutes.

Pics of the freshly mulched areas of the yards - not all of them, but a good portion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Built 8 drawers to convert a shelving unit to a drawer unit for the garage. Then built dadoed dividers for the drawers.

Blog Entries
    I "helped" dad make new jaws and mount his new vise hardware. Drilled about 24 dog holes with the plunge router. Stared "helping" about 8am Saturday and left his house about 4pm Sunday.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The weekend saw the normal riding lesson, lawn mowing and a bunch of garden weeding. I also started cleaning out the girls' study room in the 250 year old portion of our home as I need to replace the wide pine flooring due to insect damage...once I figure out how I'm going to pay for it, of course. LOL And the challenge is that I need to duplicate the wide pumpkin pine look with the new white pine. Fun, fun, fun...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...