Thread: Concrete sealing ??

Concrete sealing ??

I'm using my one car garage as a multi task shop. The floor is from the 60's and have seen some wear over time. In some places the top layer is no longer completely smooth so it makes rolling a jack or a mobil base on it less ideal.

My question is how to address the concrete floor. I've seen the epoxy paint stuff and I know for sure that will not work in this case. Adding another layer of concrete could be done, but it would have to be significant thick to avoid cracking. Not sure that would be possible. I've also heard about some skim coat stuff that is thin and very hard, though no idea what that is called. I believe some times it is used to make 'fake' stone patterns on existing concrete.

Any ideas on what to do to refinish the top layer ? I'm looking for smooth surface as well as water sealing since moisture can penetrate from below. Having it sealed would help when rolling tools around, dripping oil, and moisture control during the heavy rain months.

I would imagine you could get some portland cement (not concrete) to use as a layer on top to fill in all the porosities but I'm not sure how well it would bond to your existing concrete.

yeah, I did consider that, but I have a feeling that it will just crumble later. I know a special concrete bonding agent is needed. Some milky colored fluid.

You should probably get an estimate from a concrete crew. There are substantial problems with trying to repair shallow chip outs in the concrete. It is difficult to get anything to stay in place.

I have had luck with the self leveling patch stuff but only as an underlayment for tile. I doubt it would survive as a stand alone surface.

If it is still used as a garage your choices may be limited. If it isn't you could always get some 99 cent tile on close out and tile the floor.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

In my old house I had a crew come in and rip out basically the entire concrete floor in the basement, put down stones and pour a new floor. It was a huge amount of work for them, including hauling out all the old concrete up stairs (no horizontal access). It was ridiculously inexpensive, given the work involved.

Michael, I am in the same boat as you, but my garage is a two stall. I have a considerable amount of spalling/chipping that I beleive is caused by years of road salt eating it away. The previous owner put some concrete patch on it that is also now chipping off.

At this point I am debating between two things. One is a 100% epoxy patch system from EpoxyMaster. At $70 for two gallons, I would need several gallons to do my garage. The other is using Fiberglass Resin mixed with sand. Our shop at work just used this to fill some voids left after pouring concrete. It came from a recommendation from one of our other factories that tried several other patches and this was the only thing that worked.

My plan is to do an epoxy coat over the entire floor after it is patched.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but what I do know is that it will be expensive!

I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm also interested in any alternatives.

Kyle

Yeah, finding a concrete or a reputable mason is probably the way. Hmm, now where to find a good one.

Concrete repair

I have repaired my deck on my condo in Beaver Creek, Co using concrete patch material available at HD. The spalling is common on decks around here as winter freezing/thawing and some ice thawing salt is really rough on it. I finished it off a couple of days later with 2 heavy sealing treatments. Others have had decks jackhammered off and replaced while mine looks just as good at about 2% of the cost.

I am moving into a new house and wanted to do the same thing. I have picked the http://www.epoxy-coat.com/ product. I will install it in 2 weeks. I plan on using rolling benches and saw horses on the floor and installing cabinets over the top on 3 sides of the garage. Has any one used this product here that could offer some advice?

Michael,
    Check out a product called Top and Bond. It's probably sold at any good hardware store. There are also industrial epoxy patch kits sold if your cracks are limited.
    fmr

If the chips are not to deep you could rent a grinder and grind it smooth. I think Home depot rents Blastrac grinders. We did a display for them and also built a trade show booth. They specialize in surface grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    Any ideas on what to do to refinish the top layer ? I'm looking for smooth surface as well as water sealing since moisture can penetrate from below. Having it sealed would help when rolling tools around, dripping oil, and moisture control during the heavy rain months.
    I haven't done this - is it's just an idea. I would investigate it thoroughly before I spent the time and $$, but what about floor leveler? If it works as advertised that would give you a smoother surface, then you could do the epoxy paint (which I have done and recommend - just make sure to clean thoroughly per manufacturers instructions).
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey