Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for wide round nosed scraper

Looking for wide round nosed scraper

In school we used a thick HSS round nosed scraper.I never measured it , but i think it was every bit of an 1 1/2" wide.It also had a smaller diameter turning on the last 3 or so inches [of the handle].Because it was so thick, it wasn't so prone to chatter and catches.I'm trying to avoid Sorby priced tools at this time ,so lets put that in the equation as well. thanks rob
    Last edited by robert raess; 06-07-2010 at 3:03 PM. Reason: clarity

Rd nose scraper

Penn State Industries has some hss scrapers for 20 to 30 bucks-don't think any are over an inch wide. Look them up.

+1 for Alex's link.

+2 for Alex's post. I have one of the 1 1/2" units and it works geat.

The 3/8 in. thick x 1 1/2 in. heavy duty scrapers are a wonderful tool for many bowl turners. It should be side ground on the left side (right handed turners). Used with a fresh burr and light touch (both are important) it's hard to beat for smoothing up the inside bottom area of a bowl. Many experienced turners including many pros depend on it. I've watched R. Raffan use one many times. He even has one in his line of signature tools.

There's a downside to the tool...It's pricey. You won't find it in most low end lines of tools. Makers such as Sorby, Henry Taylor, Crown, etc. all have them. However, since it's a tool that actually sees little overall use, one tool will last most turners for many years.

I use and recommend the tool in all of my bowl turning classes.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 06-07-2010 at 5:10 PM.

Thickness of 1" round nose scraper

Hey Alex, what is the thickness of the 1" scraper? thanks rob

The problem with "Sorby Pricing" is you're paying for the name. Don't do that. Pay for the "tool". Pay the same amount and get a tool that's several times better.

I'd rather spend money right the first time, and that usually means buying "quality".

I'd recommend Thompson Tools, Doug currently has 1 1/4" scrapers in stock. By far, miles beyond, better steel than even good M2 steel-let alone chinese HSS. They may be a little better than 3 times the price as a $25 psi/china scraper but they're at least 10 to 20 times better quality. With scrapers-burrs matter. If the burr matters, get the best steel you can find.

http://thompsonlathetools.com/

My second recommendation would be Serious Tools.

http://www.serioustoolworks.com/wood...g-scrapers.php
    Last edited by Greg Haugen; 06-07-2010 at 5:43 PM.

Steve Schlumpf gave me the link for this a while back--I still haven't bought one but still may--1/2" thick by 1 1/8" wide, 16" of TOOL length, not total length. Personally, I'd turn a much longer handle to balance the tool out, but here it is anyway:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...l-Scraper.aspx

robert I don't have the 1" i only have the 1 1/2".

The 1 1/2 is 3.7/10's of an inch. I assume the 1" is the same.

Quarter inch is too thin for one that wide. I would want 3/8 or so. I think I got one like that from Doug once. I also got an 'Artisan' one from Craft Supplies, which is their house brand.

The chattering will come from hanging out too far off the tool rest, and with a heavier tool, you can reach out some more. Do not think for an instant that they won't catch, cause they do. Main problem with one that size is that you can get more wood on it at one time than you are used to, and you can get overpowered if you aren't expecting it.

Never use a scraper on the inside of a bowl up near the rim. Vibration, screeching and howling noises, then your bowl blows up.

robo hippy

I use a 1/2" thick Sorby EHD scraper. Lots of mass.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a pinnacle 1" scraper that I use all the time.
    148787.jpg

I think I paid a couple hundred for a set...but these as a single piece go for about 50 bucks at WC.

I get nice control and it helps with the sweeping curves I put into vases and the ogees that I like in bowls.

Not the 1 1/2" you're talking about....but I just felt like typing something this morning.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

If you can't buy, or are not prepared to pay an inflated price for a tool, make one. I have a scraper made from a piece of 35mm x 10mm. I welded a piece of 12mm round bar about 75mm long to one end for the tang and silver soldered a 50mm long piece of heavy duty hacksaw blade to the top, then ground it to the shape I needed. The heat from the soldering process does not affect the quality of the steel in the hacksaw blade. This will make a fine tool.
    Jim
    If you think you are too small to make a difference,
    Try sleeping in a dark room with a mosquito.

Henry Taylor makes 'em. 1 1/2 x 3/8 in square, full round, and domed profiles. I've seen them at both CSUSA and Packard's site.