Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly series

I have spent weeks trying to find a decent Bandsaw at an affordable price.

I came very close to ordering the 513X2 last week, but finally launched a Debit Card at the Polar Bear

Now ... How soon will it get here? I have some 8/4 Walnut waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have never figured out WHY some machine tools like metal lathes and milling machines get painted WHITE. It is just impossible to keep them decent looking unless you have daily maid service.

At least sawdust will vacuum off of white paint,but cutting oil won't.
    I am surprised to hear you say that George, you seem to be as meticulous as the machinist I learned from and I do believe that he could keep a white machine white (maybe a little yellow from the oil staining). I swear he could tell if I had merely walked through his shop.

I might could have when I was younger,but now it is hard to bend down and clean every little crevice. Besides that,the white paint I have run into absorbs brown cutting oil easily,then it won't wipe off at all.

I at least try to keep my work meticulous.

Maybe they could use baked on porcelain??????

Got tracking notification that the Polar Saw will be delivered today. I am at LAX heading home for BHM. It should arrive before I do.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Click View Post
    Got tracking notification that the Polar Saw will be delivered today. I am at LAX heading home for BHM. It should arrive before I do.

gary

Congrats! I had planned to use a 14" cast clone for a second BS in my new shop but for the price I think I will get the 513P, so as not to touch my shop fund I am selling off stuff in the classifieds to get it, since I have no idea how long the price will last!

6. Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I might could have when I was younger,but now it is hard to bend down and clean every little crevice. Besides that,the white paint I have run into absorbs brown cutting oil easily,then it won't wipe off at all.

I at least try to keep my work meticulous.

Maybe they could use baked on porcelain??????

Most of the machines in the Polar Bear series have powder coated paint which is baked on and resists abrasion/scratching as well as foreign oils and chemicals. The white looks superb and the pictures do not do them justice.

Just to weigh in on the color debate . . .

The Rikon 10-325 is both green AND white.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Just to weigh in on the color debate . . .

The Rikon 10-325 is both green AND white.

The Polar Bear is too, just a matter of proportion of said colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Most of the machines in the Polar Bear series have powder coated paint which is baked on and resists abrasion/scratching as well as foreign oils and chemicals. The white looks superb and the pictures do not do them justice.

Any chance of a Polar Bear series for the long fabled "woodworkers" drill press you guys reportedly have coming?

10. I ordered mine yesterday evening ..... Just before I posted.

Freight company just called. It will be here before lunch tomorrow, and they have a liftgate on the truck, so no pickup.

I could get used to this kind of service

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff Smith View Post
    Any chance of a Polar Bear series for the long fabled "woodworkers" drill press you guys reportedly have coming?
    No, unfortunately not.

I call a local HF about the 17" 3 days ago.They said it was discontinued.

After months of researching various band saws of various sizes from various manufacturers, slowly narrowing the field, along with watching Craigslist, I had finally decided last week the Rikon 10-325 was the saw for me. Even contacted ToolNut about purchasing but they do not carry Rikon products. So the plan was to call Woodcraft but I got sick and didn't feel like doing much so I put it off for a few days. Then another day and another day....

Tuesday was going to be the day... Then, Monday evening, Carl McGaug makes this post about the new Grizzly Polar Bear line. So, like many others I take a look and peruse the offerings and see the 17" 513 saw at a decent price. This saw dropped off my radar early on in my search.

Reviewed the specs again, did some comparing to the Rikon and saw a lot of similarities as well as few noticeable differences. Put off the Tuesday Rikon purchase to do some more thinking..... A couple days later and about an hour and a half ago my Visa card has $772 of Polar Bear on it

UPS called.It's coming tomorrow.I'll try to make a "first impressions" post tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Click View Post

gary
    I did order the cast iron trunnion also.