Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly series

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First, I agree with conventional wisdom and would prefer cast wheels BUT as long wheels made from cast or aluminum are concentric, true and well balanced I would submit you would never know the difference in my hobby sized saws without opening the door. The extra mass would help when encountering a knot in the wood for instance but the flywheel effect will be so small and short lived it isn't really worth much, now when you are talking about something like a 36" Tannewitz the extra mass in those wheels has a lot of stored energy and might actually be useful. When comparing the 513P to other saws in the price range I would rather have the 2hp motor than cast iron wheels.
    I don't get why people like CI wheels, all that extra mass takes more power from the motor to spin the wheel decreasing the saw's cutting power. If you look at high-end saws like Northfield or Tannewitz, they don't use CI, they use Al or steel disks for wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    No, unfortunately not.
    Thanks. Any word on when we might expect said green fabled drill press? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    I don't get why people like CI wheels, all that extra mass takes more power from the motor to spin the wheel decreasing the saw's cutting power. If you look at high-end saws like Northfield or Tannewitz, they don't use CI, they use Al or steel disks for wheels.

You are correct big production BS use mostly steel and some Al wheels and there are advantages. The lower weight of those wheels help the saws come up to speed quickly which can save the cost of the saw several times over in labor in a production environment considering a Tanny GHE might well last 40 years or more. As hobbyists and non-production shop users we do not have the high quality Al or the steel option for new bandsaws, we have CI and Al. The Al saws tend to be the budget saws and therefore logic would dictate the Al wheels have not had the level of manufacturing tolerences and/or QC that the saws with cast wheels have. So the conventional wisdom says get CI wheels and it is often based on the questionable logic surrounding momentum when although CI wheels are usually favorable on most of the new equipment we buy it is due to the fact they are generally higher quality and not the added momentum for "cutting knots" which on the size saws we buy is pretty much a non-issue. To demonstrate this get a piece of 6" tall hardwood, bring the saw up to speed cut it off and immediately start cutting the wood and see how much wood the "momentum" cuts, there just isn't that much stored energy when compared to the energy provided by the motor. I would also submit that on hobby sized saws the amount of energy that it takes to keep the heavier cast wheels running is negligible compared to the overall power of the motor, that pretty much extends to production sized saws as well.

In the end if you had two otherwise identical bandsaws one with Al wheels and one with CI wheels and all the wheels were concentric, true and balanced to the same tolerences I highly doubt ANYONE could tell the difference in the two saws in use, assuming they didn't get to compare the run down times they would only know if they opened the doors.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 06-10-2010 at 10:18 AM.

I trued up a welded up aluminum Crescent bandsaw wheel that had been broken and welded up. This guy who I was buying wood for had it. Crescent was one of he old time heavy duty machine manufacturers. It was a 24" wheel. I barely got it into my lathe's gap bed.

just placed order through ebay, and got $55 cashback through bing. just emailed them and they got back to me quick. shipping went up $20 from yesterday. Shipping same day!
    Tim

It came today.Terrible crate.I got it uncrated but didn't have time to do much else.

Got mine today, moved it into the shop and open air crate. CI Trunnion arrives tomorrow and will assemble then.

I was surprised at the color, Polar White suggests a bright stark white to me like snow. The white on mine is actually a very light cream or buff color.

gary

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Click View Post
    Got mine today, moved it into the shop and open air crate. CI Trunnion arrives tomorrow and will assemble then.

I was surprised at the color, Polar White suggests a bright stark white to me like snow. The white on mine is actually a very light cream or buff color.

gary
    Got mine too, and the freight driver was kind enough to unload it and wheel it right into the shop.

Had to think a bit about how to safely get it off the pallet once it was uncrated. By the way, the Taiwanese sure know how to drive in a nail

Just needs a plug now, and a few minor adjustments. Those Euro blade guides look decently beefy.

Yeah, and I love the colour

Don't take this the wrong way but, the Grizzly green reminds me of HF's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray McCullie View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but, the Grizzly green reminds me of HF's stuff.
    Maybe you are the reason they now offer white.

Is the white the same color as the Shop Fox machines Grizzly sells?

Could it be that Grizzly is blending the brands?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Click View Post

gary
    Polar bears are cream colored. Except for the blood and oil stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    Polar bears are cream colored. Except for the blood and oil stains.
    Poor attempt at a joke IMO, but regardless cream colored is technically incorrect.

Polar bears hair is actually transparent, but appear white because the hair doesn't absorb any light thus all light is reflected into our eyes (appearing white).

Not trying to deflate anyone's sails here and a savings is a savings although if I'm not mistaken the "Cool Green" 513 was on sale just before Christmas for $715 + $89 shipping for a total of $804. The P series 513 is $698 + $94 for a total of $792. This is a savings of.....$12.00 Maybe I'm missing something here

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Not trying to deflate anyone's sails here and a savings is a savings although if I'm not mistaken the "Cool Green" 513 was on sale just before Christmas for $715 + $89 shipping for a total of $804. The P series 513 is $698 + $94 for a total of $792. This is a savings of.....$12.00 Maybe I'm missing something here

Mac
    I believe Grizzy began new pricing January 1, 2010.

Current 'regular' price for the green 513 is $850+$94=$944
    Current 'sale' price for the green 513 is $825+$95=$919

Comparing to old pricing usually leads to disappointment.
    $12.00 less is better than $12.00 more

Anyway.... just heard from FedEx....

Delivery set for Monday, between 10am-5pm