Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly series

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wiliams View Post
    Here are a few key comparisons between the Grizzly 0513 and the Rikon 10-325:

....................Grizzly 17"...................Rikon 14"
    Cost ---------- $772 shipped ------ $700 picked up
    Motor----------- 2hp ---------------- 1.5
    Resaw----------- 12" ---------------- 13"
    Width capacity-- 16 1/4 ----------- 13 5/8
    Wheels --------- aluminum -------- cast iron
    Table size ------ 17"x17" --------- 16"x21 1/2"
    4" Dust ports---- 2 ------------------ 1
    Guides --------- Euro ------------ Bearing
    Net weight ---- 266# ------------- 251#
    Cust. Service --Legendary ----- Heard a few good things

It appears to me the fence on the Rikon may be a little better.

Sure it's a 17" saw but I don't think it is quite as impressive as it first seemed.

And how many amps will each one draw at 110? (Sorry, it's sort of a pet peave of mine at the moment...)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    And how many amps will each one draw at 110? (Sorry, it's sort of a pet peave of mine at the moment...)

Mark
    Grizzly: 20 Amps
    Rikon: 14 amps

Grizzly: 20 Amps
    Rikon: 14 amps

Right...um...maybe. If you look at the spec sheet (as opposed to the main page) for the Grizzly, you will see that it is recommended for a 30 amp line at 110.

Right...um...maybe. If you look at the spec sheet (as opposed to the main page) for the Grizzly, you will see that it is recommended for a 30 amp line at 110.
    If you already knew then why did you ask?

Shiraz, this is pure evil. I am seriously considering upgrading my G0555 about 5 years before I planned to.

If you already knew then why did you ask?

Two reasons.

1. Because I honestly don't know. Do you? Which is it, 20 or 30?

2. Because if we are going to compare the specs of the two saws, I think this is an important factor.

I realize there may be a difference between amp rating for a motor and the recommended circuit size. But since there doesn't seem to be any standard as to how to deal with that difference, and manufactures are giving us an amp rating for their tools...how do you compare.

Also,

3. Because Mr. Balolia may (i) be able to shed some light of the question and (ii) take note of the fact that some of us would like a steel bandsaw but may be limited to 110 at 20 amps (a very common thing).

Mark

Two reasons.

1. Because I honestly don't know. Do you? Which is it, 20 or 30?

2. Because if we are going to compare the specs of the two saws, I think this is an important factor.

I realize there may be a difference between amp rating for a motor and the recommended circuit size. But since there doesn't seem to be any standard as to how to deal with that difference, and manufactures are giving us an amp rating for their tools...how do you compare.

Also,

3. Because Mr. Balolia may (i) be able to shed some light of the question and (ii) take note of the fact that some of us would like a steel bandsaw but may be limited to 110 at 20 amps (a very common thing).

Mark
    I was just going by advertised specs in both of Grizzly's catalogs and the main page, of 'features' I felt were important in my shopping. I'm not too concerned with amp rating since I can easily go 30A right now or more with a little bit of wiring.

I was actually more interested in the wheel material and the 3" size difference is really only 2 3/8" (if my math is correct)

It would be nice if this was cleared up

This recent development made me rethink what I wanted but I' still leaning to the Rikon. If I wanted a bigger saw I'd think about going 19"...

I love the Grizzly green personally. For those of you without a BS or want to upgrade this is a wonderful deal.

I think that facts are being confused.

The Maximun Current Draw of the motor is 20A. The reccomended circuit size is 30A. Read this as #10 wire, a 30A Panel Breaker and a 30A recepticle.

2HP is a big motor for 110VAC. Consider 220VAC if you can. Then the Maximum Current draw of the motor is 10A. The reccomended circuit size is 15A. Read this as #14 or preferrably #12 wire, a 15A two pole breaker and a 15A recepticle.

gary

Sure it's a 17" saw but I don't think it is quite as impressive as it first seemed.

Here is my take, yes the 513 is probably one if not the least impressive 16-18" BS that is widely available currently BUT find another even 16" saw (Griz is the "odd" duck in sizing) for under $700... I like the Rikon 14 Deluxe but the 513 is more saw and over time if you spend some money upgrading, it can be a really good saw. Plus, for MOST people the price difference, since a lot more people will have to pay sales tax on a Rikon, isn't that much. If the Griz was a few bucks more than a Laguna 14" saw then there would be an entirely different discussion, but I think the 513P is a no brainer compared to the Rikon for basically the same money.

I find it cool they kept the secret so well, which I suppose is easier with no dealer network, my little birdies usually are spilling the beans at least a few weeks early like the SS 1 3/4hp PCS. The other thing is Grizzly did fundamentally the opposite of what I was thinking of suggesting they do a while back, namely change the color of their high end stuff like the 636X, 701, 9860, 9953 etc to a different color scheme kinda like a Lexus/Toyota approach but they sorta went more in the Scion/Toyota marketing approach though outside the Hybrid TS it is more a badge engineering approach. I do put stock in the color change alone as I like George hate the green tools, to the point that if I bought a General tool I would paint it pink before I left it green. I personally prefer the white and plane to buy 5 new Grizzly machines as soon as I get my new shop built and would get them in white in a heart beat, though none of the ones I plan to buy are Polar Bears...yet? I should also say if they are still on sale when I get the rest of my money lined up for the shop I will order a 513P and use it for curve work instead of getting a 14" Delta clone like I had planned.

I haven't been this excited about machine colors since PM went from gold to mustard... not sure I'm o stocked about the polar bear logo on the machines though.

Van Husky, What is your opinion of the aluminum wheels on the grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I think the worst green of all is JOHN DEERE green!!!
    Them's fightin' words!

I wonder, even being the same machines, if they are being produced by the same manufacturer.

Not that it would make a difference to me. Since Grizzly moved their quality control function to Asia, I believe in the mid to late 90's, they have been turning out increasingly higher quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Them's fightin' words!
    Hard to deny it's some spendy paint though.

I have heard that the polar bear, unlike the grizzly, actually looks at humans as food.