Thread: Patina finish on old iron

Patina finish on old iron

I've got an old vise that had paint spilled all over it in addition to a poor rattle can paint job. I am planning on getting it down to bare steel via electrolysis. I'd like to refinish it to look like this finish below. Does anyone know of a technique that they can point me to?

You may want to post your question over at owwm if you don't get any replies in here. There a great group that take their old iron seriously.

You could try gun bluing and that may give you the look you are searching for. Maybe stove black will work as well.
    David B

No doubt your vise was originally enameled to provide protection against rust, in a trademark color of the maker (black?).

But, Home Depot is said to carry Rustoleum "Cast Iron Paint" which mimmicks the look of CI. I have also read of an automotive paint called *Blast Cast* used by rebuilders to spray on the look of CI.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-08-2010 at 3:10 PM. Reason: I type faster than I can spell...
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

How bout spraying it with lacquer? See if there is a durable one out there that won't chip every 2 seconds.

You can leave it as is and paste wax it but depending on your climate you may have to do it often.

Have done electrolysis before? It'll come out darker than the picture.

Commercially it's black oxide but for the DIY see tool blackening in www.mcmaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    No doubt your vise was originally enameled to provide protection against rust, in a trademark color of the maker (black?).

But, Home Depot is said to carry Rustoleum "Cast Iron Paint" which mimmicks the look of CI. I have also read of an automotive paint called *Blast Cast* used by rebuilders to spray on the look of CI.
    Great info. Thanks for the post.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks all! I'll be looking in to all the methods.