Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Harbor Freight Dust Collector Motor Vertically

Mounting Harbor Freight Dust Collector Motor Vertically

I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out the design for a chip separator for my HFDC 2HP unit. There are tons of designs out there based on Phil Thein's design.

I'm curious of what people think about changing the orientation of the motor on the unit? If the motor was changed to a vertical orientation, as some have done, it would be more of a space saver for me. I'm concerned about the bearings and mounting hardware inside the impeller unit and inside the motor being able to handle this alternate orientation?

It would allow me to place the motor directly on top of the trash can and exhaust directly into the DC Ring.

Thoughts?

You mean like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

yep, exactly. I was wondering if you have noticed any issues with it in that orientation. How long has it been like that ?

I noticed no issues with having the dust collector mounted like this. I've seen several other people who have mounted their dust collectors in a similar orientation. I've had the dust collector like this since I purchased it a few months ago. I knew I wanted to modify it to incorporate the separator and conserve some shop space, so I never set it up per the instructions.

It's been working great since I first started it up.

Seen pics of in-use setups like Chucks o'er on WN forums that been in use at least 4 years and never heard of any issues. Well - guess if you'd count in the number of them that sit on top of the Wood mag cyclone plans that been built (like I did years back and still in use by someone else) you'll find they been oriented as such in use for 6 years or more.

They handle it fine --- btw Chuck, that's a nice job you did. Don't think the Wood cyclone would do any better and it would take more time and $$ to create. And many band aids needed to mend the flesh on the hands also required

Can't be done.

Alan,
    Is that 6" pipe you built into your separator? If so did you modify the opening of the blower?

Your design is almost exactly what i was planning, right down to the trashcan . Only thing I was thinking is that the motor could be directly connected to the box below and inline with the ring on the left.

I think I know what i'm building this weekend

Yes, it's 6" inlet and outlet. I took plywood and a router circle cutting guide and cut a hole for a bellmouth type of adapter. Drilled holes for all the bolts, painted it green, and voila - 6" intake. It clearly moves much more air, though I never have tested how much more current it draws.

Haven't gotten around to building a custom exhaust from the HF to the bag / Wynn cannister filter. I'd imagine it would be a pain to build one, but should increase flow some more.

Very nice as it currently is Alan - and with ya on doing a modification to the filter. It would be tough and maybe steal some of the thunder from having ability to move easily the thing away if need be. Looks like you may have a quick connect type thing on that little piece of hose maybe? If you pipe it then it's stuck in place unless one goes thru all the hassle of removing screws, maybe tape, etc......
    Not sure if you'd gain that much on airflow either? as it is a mighty short run.

Well done as is.

DC vertical

Does anyone have thoughts on vertically mounting the HF motor over a cyclone? What kind of CFM's do you think you would have?

My HM Wood rag version that looked like this___

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/206...fcode=05INFROO

except for the HF green on top, been running for years in my shop and now in someone elses. Posted this above I think

Never had means to measure the cfm but I ran about 22' of pvc and then had drops to tools. Short sections of hose ...about 4'. I had no trouble sucking to the last tool in the line but I had tried a few more feet once and it was not powerful enough to add another 5' I know. It only picked up maybe 50-60% at the tool so I had pushed it to it's limit. One tool at a time, 22' ducting or less and then some short hose and it does the job.
    Never read what anyone got for cfm on this setup but many have and do use it on top of that Wood rag cyclone design

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blackburn View Post
    Very nice as it currently is Alan - and with ya on doing a modification to the filter. It would be tough and maybe steal some of the thunder from having ability to move easily the thing away if need be. Looks like you may have a quick connect type thing on that little piece of hose maybe? If you pipe it then it's stuck in place unless one goes thru all the hassle of removing screws, maybe tape, etc......
    Not sure if you'd gain that much on airflow either? as it is a mighty short run.

Well done as is.
    Thanks.

I would think that having to reduce the outlet to 5" instead of 6" to the cannister filter and bag would measurably decrease flow.

Greg,

I have been running mine vertical for quite some time with no problems. You will find my original mod located here.
    Here is an updated outlet design.
    Good luck on your setup and post pics if you can.
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 06-12-2010 at 7:24 AM.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

14. Greg here is a thread that I posted july of 09. My Jet 1100 has been on its nose for almost a year. as of this date I am not having any problems.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=harold+shay

harold

Started working on the build today for a thien baffle similar to the Alan post above and the vawoodworker posts from youtube/cgallery.

I got through the teardrop shapes and the supports for the octagon sides today. Until my wife threw out her neck(still on ice) called me in to watch the kids, our new bull mastiff puppy (10 weeks) and be the resident nurse. Doesn't look like ill finish this one this weekend

Thank you all for your help. I decided on the topper with 6" ports, building a new plate for the HF impeller with 6" PVC going through the new plate into the baffle. I am still debating mounting the whole apparatus on a rolling cart or mounting the motor to the wall. Only dilemma has been not ordering the wynn filter yet. I am still rolling the HFDC out the door and connecting to the ducting when doing work.

I found a guy with 14' of 6" PVC, 1 wye ( 4" on the y part ) , and one 6-4" reducer for 25$. I need to find two 45* bends to finish the 6" trunk of the ducting. Planning to have the 6" wye go the the overhead collection on the TS and the 4-6" reducer feed the below table collection on the TS. Since this is currently on the same table will likely feed the router downdraft bucket and IF/When i get a real router fence pick up the dust on the fence from above also. For now the rest of the s&d 4" will feed the planer, BS and jointer.

I'm taking pics so ill post them when i make some progress