Thread: Another Way To Dummy Up

Another Way To Dummy Up

Pulled this from the garage, where I had left it to dry a bit after cutting a month ago. Only after I had retrued the outside and begun thinning did I remember the note I should have written on the blank. "Chainsaw damage to remove."

Nice shape, bark held, but someone forgot that he had rotated the saw against the spikes while crosscutting. Only an eighth inch less diameter and the damage would be gone, but as the second picture shows, they're present and ugly. Should I rip the bark off or call it a "feature?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you hadn't pointed it out..............and even then it's hard to tell in the picture..........no one would notice. I've often told people, "you want perfect? buy plastic". Folks that enjoy wood would enjoy the imperfections. I know I do. I do have two questions:
    1. what kind of wood?
    2. what kind of finish are you going to put on it?
    3. how big is it?
    See? if I can't notice the number of questions, how can I worry about those little chips???
    Don't forget to post finish pics

Ps. I would leave the bark on it. see what happens when you put the finish on. I use Tung oil on a lot of my NE's and it seems to hide some of those boo boos.

George, I often have this problem with my natural edge bowls. I save bark from the center, and glue it on the missing edge before I sand. I have never had a customer notice where I glued the piece. Gluing the piece on with CA glue before sanding is the key.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

George, interesting platter! Either leave bark as is or repair as per Glenn's suggestion. Would like to see the finished product if possible.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Where...

I don't see it....
    roy
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Forge ahead young man...or so it has been said. I vote leave it on.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Very nice George. I vote to leave it on. Nice job. I agree with Pat. If you want perfection then buy plastic.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Who's gonna notice... as turner's were gonna notice a lot more imperfections than anyone else cause we know what to look for! This one looks great and the mistake isn't obvious!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

True on being our own worst critics. I'm just mad at myself for leaving that straight line chewed across a curved surface. Not as if it would have been difficult to write a note to myself on the blank. The bark seems to be holding, so I'll probably leave it.

If you don't have bark from the center to glue on, why not just sand the edge round?... Obviously the piece needs finish on it, but the form is great, and I think it would look fine if the entire outter edge was just rounded off.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

George,
    Bark Bark ! leave it alone ....
    John 3:16