Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Sawstop

Buying a Sawstop

My previous saw has died the final death, and my wife told me that she wants the next saw to be a Sawstop for safety reasons. Not that I'm complaining or anything =)

I also know the prices are set by the factory etc etc, but what kind of side deals have folks been able to pull off? I have no idea what the margins are like, but they have to be decent. They can't discount the saw itself, but have other buyers been successful in negotiating for throw-ins?

The plan is to purchase it through my local Rockler, and they know me by sight since I visit regularly. I would like to get as good a deal as possible, since this thing costs a whole ton of money, but I don't want to unreasonably try to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Suggestions?
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

I am interested to hear if anyone got juice out of this... I am ashamed to say I got nothing. Nothing. The only clever thing I did was shop for lowest sales tax rates. Cook county in Chicago has killer rates.

I bought one without a fence for my former job. I don't recall why a fenceless one was available. We had a Parallock fence (the best fence ever made,too bad they didn't catch on) that we put onto the Saw Stop. I had bought it as an upgrade for our 1950's Unisaw's fence,which always moved when you locked it down,as is well known.

It was a good amount cheaper without the fence. I THINK someone had custom ordered it,and never paid up when it came in. Can't recall.

The Parallock had an underneath aircraft cable system like a drafting board. It moved EXACTLY the same at each end when moved. It was easy to take off,too. I think the small company that made them just couldn't spend the money on advertising.

Does your old saw have a usable fence? Check on the dimensions of the Saw Stop's table before thinking you can swap.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-08-2010 at 11:26 PM.

I bought mine a few years back and was told no bargain pricing on SawStop. What I did acheive is a few throat plates(2) for TK and Dado.
    Also 1 Dado Brake so about 150.00 is all I saved. I did or have been receiveing some good deals on subsequent buys to make up for it. It is kind of frustrating that the dealer is told not to discount the product.
    In my limited marketing experience I would conclude that discounting can increase sales which can increase profits over all. Not discounting can cause some buy a Powermatic, General etc and Sawstop misses the sale.
    I buy high end audio gear from time to time and have been told that discounting causes the resale to drop. That may be true, although I think it is a greedy dealer line of logic. But I can't see that it would apply to tools. I think the advice I would give you if you want a discount is to find 2-3 dealers and see who will make the best deal. From what I read in the papers the economy is slow. Money talks and nobody criticizes it's accent!
    In addition as with George I bought mine without the fence as I had an Excalibur Fence....the best fence ever made,
    just kidding George.
    Last edited by Ted Baca; 06-08-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I have an Incra fence that is definitely moving from the old to the new saw, so yes I'll be passing on the Sawstop fence. Should save some money there =)

A few throat plates and a spare brake or two doesn't sound like a bad deal overall on the goodie bag. I'll see what I can get.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

Anything is better than nothing. Good luck.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

If you're willing to wait a while and shop around, checking CraigsList diligently, you can get decent deals. I just bought one 2 days ago out of a guys garage, perfect condition, a 5HP SawStop ICS, for $1800. 2007 model, 36" fence, 4x8 outfeed table. Delivered to my door from 150 miles away.

There was another one, ICS also, that I could have bought a month ago for $1500, if I'd have been willing to take off work for a morning.

SawStop dealer has the 52" rails for $150; but if anyone out there wants to swap the 36" for the 52" rails, PM me (not-so-stealth gloat )
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I heard from an owner of a store that carries Sawstop that the margins for the retailers are very, very low (have no idea if it was BS).

When I purchased mine, it didn't seem like I was doing anyone a favor by buying it from them. So I don't think you can expect any side deals. Sad but true...

Sort of like the spring promo where you got 2 free sawblades (not the stock junk blades but Titanium series) when you bought a PCS, Sawstop offers a "refer a friend and you both get free blades" promo. At least it's something...

http://www.sawstop.com/register/referral/

I used to work retail in a former life. I managed one of the largest bicycle stores on the west coast. We sold everything from 300.00 dollar entry level bikes up to 5,000.00 custom road and mountain bikes.

The margins on large items are not great. If I only sold a bike with no accessories, it was considered to be like breaking even.

Margins would be from 29 to 34% on average. Seems like a lot for a 3,000.00 item, but not really. The costs that go along with selling a big ticket item are quite large. Also the time it takes for the salesman, sometimes several to take care of the customer adds up

I would make more money selling 1,500.00 worth of helmets or jerseys than a 3,000.00 bike with no accessories.

So asking for throw ins, while I completely understand, is just cutting into already slim margins.

Just keep in mind that, like your local pro bike shop, you want your local woodworking store to be around. Otherwise, you will never get to actually touch a tool before you buy, or be able to get an item now, instead of waiting for UPS.

Me, I don't ask for discounts. I drive the hour, one way, to my local Woodcraft. I try to give them as much business as I can. Bought my SS contractors saw, with upgraded fence, cast iron wings, mobile base and extra brakes and inserts. Nothing thrown in. Did I get shafted?

No, I don't think so. I could have worked a deal for throw ins, but I preferred to let them make a profit. The prices were reasonable, so I paid them.

I am not saying that you should never ask for a discount or a package deal. I just wanted to give the perspective from the other side.

Especially in a tough economy, every sale is crucial to the retailer.

So twist their arm a bit, just don't break it......LOL

Enjoy the saw. My wife did the same thing, insisted on a SS.

Well said Tim. We can't bash the big box stores unless we're willing to actually support the local store. I recently ordered a PCS (1.75hp) and never thought about asking for a discount. What I do expect from the local store is extraordinary service.

11. Second what Tim said. Having been in retail 30+ years, it's a hard way to make a living. The big things typically have short margin to start. The costs to open, staff, stock, insure and administrate a brick & mortar store are staggering, let me assure you.

I'm not happy with the "greedy" attribution. I've spent a lot of time in stores, on each side of the counter, and greed is one emotion I've never personally observed.

It's OK to ask for a deal in a civil tone. It's OK to negotiate fairly, as in telling the dealer there's a better deal to be had elsewhere when that's the truth. It's also OK for the dealer to tell you, civilly, no thanks.

Remember that the margin dealers earn when selling anything, large or small, goes in part to pay for training for floor staff. If you have a shop that charges premium money for merchandise, and also has a know-nothing staff, then you have a reason to complain.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Wheeler View Post
    Second what Tim said. Having been in retail 30+ years, it's a hard way to make a living. The big things typically have short margin to start. The costs to open, staff, stock, insure and administrate a brick & mortar store are staggering, let me assure you.

I'm not happy with the "greedy" attribution. I've spent a lot of time in stores, on each side of the counter, and greed is one emotion I've never personally observed.

It's OK to ask for a deal in a civil tone. It's OK to negotiate fairly, as in telling the dealer there's a better deal to be had elsewhere when that's the truth. It's also OK for the dealer to tell you, civilly, no thanks.

Remember that the margin dealers earn when selling anything, large or small, goes in part to pay for training for floor staff. If you have a shop that charges premium money for merchandise, and also has a know-nothing staff, then you have a reason to complain.
    In my country (Israel), it is essential to ask for a deal... some stores have honest prices, but I see that the margin is usually pretty high (I'm not sure who earns the difference but from comparing with prices in the USA - I can see that they are very high).
    There is a particular store (that I keep on returning to despite the travel involved) that almost always have the cheapest price (in a big way) and have great service, on my first visit I asked for a deal, never did it again - they (on their own account) decide what to discount, and what goodies they throw in - and I'm always (as much as I can be, considering the money coming out of pocket) happy.
    I'm not sure I can call the general behavior greediness, but it certainly looks like it sometimes.

When I bought my lathe, a few years ago, I shopped around in Israel between a few stores, the price they gave me for my model (JET 1642 EVS2) was more than $1000 more than what it cost me to buy it in the US and shipping it to Israel and israeli sales tax... and they get the lathes direct from Taiwan where they are manufactured... granted I got it in a Sale, but from a retailer, new, not second hand or anything... it was a little more hassle, but quite easy on the whole.

So there.

BTW my experience in the USA is exactly as you describe, so no disagreement really...
    I have a signature too...

I got setup and delivery on my ICS. Didn't really have to negotiate they offered the service. When it arrived I just had to attach my cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    I got setup and delivery on my ICS. Didn't really have to negotiate they offered the service. When it arrived I just had to attach my cord.
    My situation was similar. The vendor set the saw up and checked to make sure all tolerances were within his (not SawStop's) acceptance levels. (Yes, he did send saws back if they didn't meet his "requirements."). He had his crew set the saw on the stand that I bought from him at a discount and attached my my cord. The liftgate delivery directly to my shop/garage was about 1/3 of the actual cost (I saw the actual bill when I had to sign for the delivery).

At the time another vendor's only "perk" was to help me put a crated SawStop on a friend's truck.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Where did you get the SS with setup and delivery. They make a great bonus!!!