Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on leveling cast iron extensions on SawStop

Need advise on leveling cast iron extensions on SawStop

I just bought the SawStop PCS. I've been taking my time setting it up because I've just been too busy to do it all at once. If you have kids you know what I mean, lol. Anyway I was playing around tonight trying to level the extension wings. I have a straight edge from Lee Valley that I am using. I started by putting the straight edge across the table and raising the extension up to being level with the bottom of the straight edge. The problem is when I tighten the bolts, the outer end of the extension is slightly higher than the table leaving a small gap under the straight edge where the extension meets the table. Is it possible to get the extension perfectly level with the table where there are no gaps under the straight edge or am I being a little to picky? I can get the seem very smooth, but when I do it appears that the outer edge of the extension raises a little higher than the table leaving a gap under the straight edge where the seem is. What is normal here and is there a better procedure for leveling the extension wings? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feltner View Post
    I just bought the SawStop PCS. I've been taking my time setting it up because I've just been too busy to do it all at once. If you have kids you know what I mean, lol. Anyway I was playing around tonight trying to level the extension wings. I have a straight edge from Lee Valley that I am using. I started by putting the straight edge across the table and raising the extension up to being level with the bottom of the straight edge. The problem is when I tighten the bolts, the outer end of the extension is slightly higher than the table leaving a small gap under the straight edge where the extension meets the table. Is it possible to get the extension perfectly level with the table where there are no gaps under the straight edge or am I being a little to picky? I can get the seem very smooth, but when I do it appears that the outer edge of the extension raises a little higher than the table leaving a gap under the straight edge where the seem is. What is normal here and is there a better procedure for leveling the extension wings? Thanks for the help!
    Larry, when you attach the fence rails, you can put a little down pressure on the extension wing while tightening the rail bolts. It may take a little trial and error, but you will eventually get it. Isn't this addressed in the manual?

Blog Entries
    Cast iron is surprisingly malleable. As Joe says a little downward force while tightening up the fence rails may do the trick. In extreme cases a bit of shim (I use foil tape as it stays put) run along the top edge will drop the outer edge and fill the gap.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would just stick with the shims as cast iron is easy to crack . Ive never heard that malliable was a characteristic of cast iron. Ridgid yes, malleable??? I dont think so. if it was it wouldnt be a good choice for a top.
    Fullerbuilt

I use aluminum tape of the kind used for sealing HVAC for shim like Glenn does.

You would shim the top portion of the wing and it should drop the ends. It does take some trial and error.

If you are within a couple thousandths it is likely plenty good enough. Grab a sheet of notebook paper (about .003), if it will slid in the gap then you should shim it.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Measure the gap with a feeler gauge. You may be surprised how small it is. A .001" gap is pretty obvious, and .005" looks downright huge. It does to my eye at any rate. Anyhow, there are good suggestions here but before you pull your hair out, know what you're working with.

If you don't have feelers, aluminum foil is about .0005".

LOL...the new math

1 notebook = 6 aluminum foils

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Larry, when you attach the fence rails, you can put a little down pressure on the extension wing while tightening the rail bolts. It may take a little trial and error, but you will eventually get it. Isn't this addressed in the manual?
    Joe is correct. Unfortunately it's omitted in the saw manual, but you will find it on Page 7 of the fence manual.

If you search these posts, you'll find some great ideas to help level any table saw extensions. I remember a picture of someone using 2x4s, clamps and sawhorses. I also found several great ideas like tapping with a rubber mallet, and the shim techniques. Unfortunately, I found these AFTER I struggled for 2 days to get my extensions level.

The rails did help a lot, once I got there, but as someone already said, they don't mention this so much in the manual.

You might take a tri square and see if the edges of the main saw table and the extensions are square. Take the advice suggested in measure the difference with a feeler guage. If it is less than .0005 you might try filing the high spot off the mating surfaces to lessen the shim thickness. If you have a nice "know to be" flat surface use emery cloth between the edge and flat surface. Cast Iron sands pretty quick and easy. Remeber this is just to lessen the shim requiremments, don't try to machine a prefect fit or you will ahve a very narrow table top.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    I would just stick with the shims as cast iron is easy to crack . Ive never heard that malliable was a characteristic of cast iron. Ridgid yes, malleable??? I dont think so. if it was it wouldnt be a good choice for a top.
    There are malleable cast irons (malleable, nodular and ductile for example) but the grey cast iron used in machines is indeed brittle and not malleable.

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like the first step would be to put a straight edge on it to get a smooth seam. Then try to get as close to level using the fence rails when I bolt those on. If I can't get pretty close using the fence rails, then come back and loosen the extensions and shim with aluminum tape. Sounds like a good plan to me. One other idea that occurred to me after seeing the suggestions. Could I partially tighten the extension bolts and put the fence rail on and bolt the fence rail tight so that the table and extension wings are as close to level as I can get them, then tighten the extension table bolts the rest of the way. I'm thinking with the fence rail holding the table level first, it might make the whole process easier. Is there anything wrong with working backwards like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feltner View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like the first step would be to put a straight edge on it to get a smooth seam. Then try to get as close to level using the fence rails when I bolt those on. If I can't get pretty close using the fence rails, then come back and loosen the extensions and shim with aluminum tape. Sounds like a good plan to me. One other idea that occurred to me after seeing the suggestions. Could I partially tighten the extension bolts and put the fence rail on and bolt the fence rail tight so that the table and extension wings are as close to level as I can get them, then tighten the extension table bolts the rest of the way. I'm thinking with the fence rail holding the table level first, it might make the whole process easier. Is there anything wrong with working backwards like that?
    First of all, before offering all these suggestions, we should have asked you just how far off plane the extension is. If it's a few thou., a little hand pressure should take care of it. If it's more than that, shimming will help. If its off something like 1/4" , a call to SS is in order.

Larry,

I'm having the same problem. The manual does say to put some downward force on the wings when you attach and tighten the fence rails. Unfortunately that's nearly impossible to do by yourself.

I've had my saw set up for a few months now (in poor alignment), and it has been completely fine. The cut is good and square, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

But I still do plan on bringing in a helper and tackling the issue at some point. I just got too impatient setting it up because I was excited to start using the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    The manual does say to put some downward force on the wings when you attach and tighten the fence rails. Unfortunately that's nearly impossible to do by yourself.
    Nah, it can be done. John had a good idea here:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=30

This way worked too but I don't think it's as nice as John's method:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php...83&postcount=4

Mike