Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two big laser questions

Two big laser questions

I have a kern laser than initially cut through 1/4 inch wood like butter, but doesn't seem to make it any more. I've used it for about 30 hours since I got it with no adjustments, and kern thinks I need to make adjustments now to make it cut correctly again. It doesn't make sense to me? Any ideas?

Second...how big a laser do you need to cut 5/8 solid wood (anyone have one), and is it worth trying since the kerf may warp with the depth of cut?

Is this a cnc router only project?

How big a laser you got, I'm using 100 watt synrad, nossle injected air/co2 lasers and I don't get through 1/4" board easily, several passes are required.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

The laser can go out of alignment for various reasons , even a hard bump can mess with it.
    In all likelyhood , transport , unpacking, mirror/lens cleaning etc has caused a mirror or lens holder to shift or has loosened one of the set screws.
    Cutting thick wood is not a good application for a laser - you will not only have charring problems , but the fact is the cutting beam is not a "straight line" , its shaped like an hourglass and the thicker you go with the material , the worse it becomes trying to cut - there is only a certain portion of the beam above and below the focus point where it has enough power per area to actually cut. You would need a powerful laser (250w) and a 4 or 6" focal length lens to cut thick stuff and even then it wont get great results.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greg lindsey View Post
    I'm using 100 watt synrad, nossle injected air/co2 lasers and I don't get through 1/4" board easily, several passes are required.
    Sheesh, what kind of hard wood are you trying to cut that a 100W won't slice 1/4"?!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

This might be caused by having the ppi too high, which can cause severe burning, however unless you are doing something like lignum vitae it should be able to go through it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Kern is a respected brand in use in many commercial settings. I would be inclined to follow their advice to at least see if it helps.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Sheesh, what kind of hard wood are you trying to cut that a 100W won't slice 1/4"?!
    Dan, I read board but was thinking plywood, happens when you stay up to late. 1/4" solid isn't too bad, but plywood is a bugger. LOL Thanks for the correction.

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition

Dan, I read board but was thinking plywood, happens when you stay up to late. 1/4" solid isn't too bad, but plywood is a bugger. LOL Thanks for the correction.
    I am able to cut 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood in a single pass with a 30W Epilog...are you doing multiple passes with 100W on 1/4" ply?

Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    I am able to cut 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood in a single pass with a 30W Epilog...are you doing multiple passes with 100W on 1/4" ply?
    I am not really into wood cutting, my mainstay is plastics and textiles, but I get requests for cutting plywood now and then and it's probably stuff from HD that the customer brings in. Just seems like it's the lamination that gives me trouble, don't know if it's the wood or glues used, but if you guys are getting through plywood with 30 watts, maybe I need to recheck my alighnments.

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition

Blog Entries
    Just seems like it's the lamination that gives me trouble, don't know if it's the wood or glues used, but if you guys are getting through plywood with 30 watts, maybe I need to recheck my alighnments.
    The glues are the biggest problems with plywoods, but you should still be able to bang through the bad stuff with that much power.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

When cutting wood maintenance is an important issue. Be sure your lens and mirrors are clean and your exhaust is working well. Bearings and tracks need cleaning frequently as well.

I am skeptical of anybody who says they can cut 1/2" or thicker wood cleanly with a laser--even with a 100 watts or more.

A cnc router will probably do a better job faster.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If it is exterior glue it will be MUCH harder to cut than interior glue. Check with your supplier to see which one they carry and get interior glue only next time.

Josh,
    Depending on the size of the part(s), the complexity of the design and the quantity needed may help determine to CNC or not.
    Last edited by Michael Kowalczyk; 06-09-2010 at 5:58 PM. Reason: to CNC or not added...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I have cut 3/4 white oak with my 100 watt and am unable to cut 1/4 Ebony. Depends on the woods.

I have a new tube coming that is supposed to test out at 140 watts. I will see how it cuts when I get it installed.
    Last edited by James Stokes; 06-09-2010 at 8:55 PM.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Kern 40 watt 24" square open bed

I know Kern is a great brand. I have a friend with a huge bed. I cut 1/4" solids like maple and cherry (no plywood) easily at first. I'm thinking something simple is wrong, so those are the suggestions I'm looking for.

Thanks for all your comments!

Josh

Josh, sorry if I hijacked your thread. I think I got us off subect here a little.

Did you ever say what wattage you were cutting with or age of machine, I don't remember seeing anything in your tag line. I would inspect the lens, mirrors and alignment. When my epilog is not acting correctly, it is most often the alignment. Mine gets alot of use and I bang it every now and then, knock if out of alignment.
    Last edited by greg lindsey; 06-09-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: re-read original post

Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition