Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with Briwax

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ....... Johnson's paste wax.......
    +1

Or, corner hardware store - everybody carries it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kevin, I have never used Briwax for machines, but Johnson's paste wax is probably the most mentioned wax for cast iron. It is silicone free, glazes over, and seems to do a great job. I have used it for a good while.

Cheap and readily available at the grocery store, Walmart, etc.

I think there must be something going on with the wax making industry. I used Johnsons paste wax for years with good results, and then got two cans in a row, about 6 months apart that were almost runny in the can and would NOT glaze over at all. I started using Renassiance wax and it takes very little when rubbed in properly (compared to the Johnsons) and really works a lot better at protecting the CI from Sweat drops. Since this stuff is rather expensive, and everyone else seems to still be having good results from Johnsons, I bought a new can a few months ago to try again, but alas, it was just like the two previous bad cans I got. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the wax in the last three cans look and act so differently from all the others I had used for years. I wonder if they have changed the formula or am I just Jinxed? Previous to those three cans, I had NEVER got a bad can before. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 05-16-2011 at 6:48 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Norman - I bought a new can just 10 days ago. Mine is OK - "pasty" consistency. I think it is either (a) you personally or maybe (b) Texans in general?

Actually - beats me. Maybe there was an issue with a batch - and I bet they make great big honkin' batches - and your purchases are out of the same batch/distribution channel. May be it's time to switch allegiance to Boeshield.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Yeah Kent, I've used the Boeshield on SOME CI tables, but It just isn't slick enough to suit me, but it does do a great job protecting the metal from rust. I should have mentioned that there was a 5 or 6 year lapse between the first two bad cans and the third bad can of Johnsons, so I doubt they were from the same batch.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    I think there must be something going on with the wax making industry. I used Johnsons paste wax for years with good results, and then got two cans in a row, about 6 months apart that were almost runny in the can and would NOT glaze over at all. I started using Renassiance wax and it takes very little when rubbed in properly (compared to the Johnsons) and really works a lot better at protecting the CI from Sweat drops. Since this stuff is rather expensive, and everyone else seems to still be having good results from Johnsons, I bought a new can a few months ago to try again, but alas, it was just like the two previous bad cans I got. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the wax in the last three cans look and act so differently from all the others I had used for years. I wonder if they have changed the formula or am I just Jinxed? Previous to those three cans, I had NEVER got a bad can before. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    I know this thread is old, but I too am suffering from a runny and oddly colored can of JPW. Is this just a case of there being too much solvent in the wax? Should I open it up and let it flash off for a few days? Or pitch it and buy a can of Minwax or Butchers?