Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Woodworking magazine rant

Fine Woodworking magazine rant

I really haven't paid all that much attention to Fine Woodworking's projects until lately when I have been wanting to build several of them (Michael Fortune's Adirondack chair and Seth Rolland's sliced ash table). I wrote to Michael Fortune asking for additional information. He quickly responded but told me to ask Fine Woodworking for the details that I was looking for. I haven't heard back from Taunton or Fine Woodworking.

So, should I know that Fine Woodworking shows projects that are generally there to showcase a builder? What should I be getting out of these projects other than than they look cool and know that I have very little chance of duplicating it. I do have a membership to their website and while good for some things does not give me any additional information on these projects.

I'd be curious about any constructive thoughts that you might have.

Other than WoodSmith and ShopNotes, I think all magazines show some projects with plans, and others just for inspiration. Very often, even if they provide plans, I don't follow them. I take the ideas I like and work them into my own overall design.

I agree with Will.

I'm sure it's frustrating that they aren't being responsive, and that's just bad customer service... All they should do is reply to and let you know that their goal is to give you inspiration and maybe tell you about a building technique or two that you could adopt.

I personally get the most enjoyment out of coming up with my own ideas. Sometimes I fail miserably, but that's how I learn. I wouldn't have nearly as much fun simply doing a "paint by number" project. And maybe that's the magazine's philosophy as well.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the Woodsmith format although that doesn't really help you with your trouble. The articles in WS are written by the guy doing the build and often include a Shop Tips" and "Builder's Notes" sections describing the required techniques in detail and show jigs and such that help assure success. . . are you listening FWW?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think Fine Woodworking has always been a magazine of technique and inspiration for projects. I first subscribed to it in the mid 1990s and they rarely listed dimensions for the furniture they showed. If they did list any dimensions, they were very simple and were just there to give you an idea of how you would want to design your own project.

Wood magazine does a good job with their project plans. Even going overboard in my opinion to show cut lists on dimensional lumber. For example, its rare you will go to a lumber yard and find dimensional cherry.

If you contacted the author directly and he referred you to the magazine, there may be something in the author's contract that published projects become the property of FWW. Maybe FWW is saving the projects for a book of plans or special issue?

I for one wish they had done an in depth article on the ash table. Not only would I like to build it as is, but it is a really cool set of skills. Will probably end up havking away at it until I get it right based on the little info they supplied.

I enjoy creating my own designs. I like to draw them up and then see them come to life. In this regard, I only use Fine Woodworking for basic ideas

What are magazines for?

The OP's premise is very interesting...that woodworking magazines have some inherent promise...that they should enable us to do great work.

I spent my young adult years training as a chef. I not only had years of formal training, but also worked in lots of fine restaurants. I read everything I could get my hands on. The amazing thing is that as my skills progressed, my eye and palate more attuned, my experiences broadened...the same article communicated totally different things to me at different stages on my career. Even a published recipe never comes out the same from different cooks.

I once actually worked on FWW's sister publication FC...and (15 years ago) it was certainly their publishing philosophy to offer a range of material and information to nurture and inform a wide range of artisans.

So while you look at those projects and wonder where is the recipe. Other woodworkers are no doubt reading the same article and thinking about different methods to manage the internal tension other than gluing discs into the dados. Generally, on the more advanced the material less detail is revealed.

I have read probably a dozen posts on SMC that decry the exact opposite...that after the first 100 issues the magazine went soft and has reverted to real beginner's stuff. And in fact if you look at the first several years of FWW there are few pictures, fewer measured drawings and a lot of very, very complex topics covered by masters from the past generation...many of whom, it seams from the writing, would not suffer beginners lightly. THere is plenty of philosophical writing about the craft too. These articles gave rise to the early books, e.g. Tage Frid series.

One idea would be to look at magazines and books for ideas, and then take what you like and make your own variation of the design.

Structurally, look at all of the plans for adirondock chairs, and tables that you can find. Compare the designs- how are they the same, and how are they different. If you have a good picture, you can take a good guess at the dimensions. Maybe make a prototype. Woodworking, for most of us is a hobby, so have fun with the process. (If you want an adiron. chair it would be much cheaper to buy one)

Also, one great thing about this forum is that there are many people who post who are very knowledgeable. Why not post your specific questions here- I'm guessing there will be a generous response.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    One idea would be to look at magazines and books for ideas, and then take what you like and make your own variation of the design.

Structurally, look at all of the plans for adirondock chairs, and tables that you can find. Compare the designs- how are they the same, and how are they different. If you have a good picture, you can take a good guess at the dimensions. Maybe make a prototype. Woodworking, for most of us is a hobby, so have fun with the process. (If you want an adiron. chair it would be much cheaper to buy one)

Also, one great thing about this forum is that there are many people who post who are very knowledgeable. Why not post your specific questions here- I'm guessing there will be a generous response.
    Then build Norm Abrams

This is one item he got very right!

I have long since given up on WWing magazines to provide anything substantial. If you are a beginner than there is alot of stuff you can learn from them but once you have had a solid couple of years WWing they are fun but not worth anything more than that IMO.
    Fullerbuilt

Many years ago I kicked myself for not getting the first 5 copies of FWW. I got them religiously since till about 1990 when I saw the same stuff over and over again. I hardly look at them anymore. I still love to look at the old black and white copies once and a while. Thinking of giving the kid next door the stash for inspiration. This place is my new addiction.

Michael,
    I'm sorry you haven't heard back from customer service. I'm an editor at the magazine and can give you at least a partial answer. First, we do not have plans for either the Michael Fortune or the Seth Rolland pieces or a more detailed explanation of how to make them. On the Fortune piece, we do include most, if not all, of the necessary dimensions and a detailed drawing of the bending jig he used to make the arms/legs. If you have specific questions about how to bend the wood, etc. you can email me directly and I'll try to help. My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at taunton dot com.
    Thanks for reading the magazine. Matt Kenney, assoc. editor, Fine Woodworking

There are plans for an 18th.C. style sawhorse I made,which there are a pair of in the cabinet maker's shop in Williamsburg. Maybe there are other plans there,too,though you have to subscribe to that site to access them.

Some other person I don't know made plans of the sawhorses and published them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kestenbaum View Post
    The OP's premise is very interesting...that woodworking magazines have some inherent promise...that they should enable us to do great work.

I spent my young adult years training as a chef. I not only had years of formal training, but also worked in lots of fine restaurants. I read everything I could get my hands on. The amazing thing is that as my skills progressed, my eye and palate more attuned, my experiences broadened...the same article communicated totally different things to me at different stages on my career. Even a published recipe never comes out the same from different cooks.

I once actually worked on FWW's sister publication FC...and (15 years ago) it was certainly their publishing philosophy to offer a range of material and information to nurture and inform a wide range of artisans.

So while you look at those projects and wonder where is the recipe. Other woodworkers are no doubt reading the same article and thinking about different methods to manage the internal tension other than gluing discs into the dados. Generally, on the more advanced the material less detail is revealed.

I have read probably a dozen posts on SMC that decry the exact opposite...that after the first 100 issues the magazine went soft and has reverted to real beginner's stuff. And in fact if you look at the first several years of FWW there are few pictures, fewer measured drawings and a lot of very, very complex topics covered by masters from the past generation...many of whom, it seams from the writing, would not suffer beginners lightly. THere is plenty of philosophical writing about the craft too. These articles gave rise to the early books, e.g. Tage Frid series.

I totally agree with the above post. I subscribed to FWW many years ago, "back in the day" when it was just black and white. It was a really cool magazine. I am presently a subscriber, and it's an ok magazine. Lots of nice pictures. But in...uh...well...over 30 years anyway of woodworking, I don't think I've ever made anything from "plans". I look at something and figure it out. I have used plans to make jigs and so forth, and some were from (early) FWW mags. Unless a magazine expressly promising something more for the cover price, I expect what I see inside the pages of the magazine, and nothing more.