Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

14 June 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
    I come to you today being 1 year older. I would say that I feel 16 again, but I've been sick and restricted to the house since last Thursday due to a respiratory virus that I caught from my mother when we were visiting there last week. The good thing about last week was that I got to take my dad to his chemo treatment and spend that time with him.

No woodworking for me as I'm still recovering from this nasty virus/infection.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear of your illness, hope all gets well!

Worked some on getting my vise installed on my bench, went on a historic tour of a farm town nearby with LOML, intalled a powered vent in the shop gable, and snagged a DC system... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142282

I cut and assembled the case for another rolling cabinet/cart for my shop. The previous one was for my turning tools. This one is primarily for my table saw accessories. After drilling holes, I can start painting the case. Now on to cutting and assembling the drawers.

The week before last we had a granddaughter visiting with her two sons ages, 3 years and 10 months.....Yup....2 of our great-grandsons were here for a week. They returned home a week ago on Saturday and a great-granddaughter arrived the same day to spend a week with Nanny and PaPa in Idaho for a week.

This past week little Riley our 4 year old great-granddaughter from Phoenix has been visiting us. She puts the smile on PaPa's face every morning and he will miss her presence when she returns to Phoenix tomorrow!

Yesterday I barbecued my first brisket. While it turned out tasty, I think I might have overcooked it just a little...but you gotta learn. Unlike Texas where we ate our first brisket, Sharon had to ask for it and they had to special cut it at a local grocery store.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Kiko graduated on Friday. Watched the USA and Germany world cup games. Trued up and resawed some burl I found. Then went shopping for replacement carpet for the guest bedroom. Now waiting in the hospital for some medical tests
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Isolated and electrical problem in my car. Now my battery stays charged but I have no A/C !
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

I was in Calgary working on a power system project.

Completed the commissioning tests, put the system into service and had a spare day to go to Banff and enjoy the sunshine and scenery.

Back home to Toronto this afternoon..........Regards, Rod.

wood-wise -- got the coffee table I've been working on glued up, about 10 minutes before I remembered that I hadn't rounded over the outside corner of the legs.

Nothing I can't do afterwards, but it'd have been so much simpler to plow them through the router table before attaching them.

non-wood -- managed to combine a day when I wasn't working and the sun was out and finally made it into the pool for the first time this year. Won't quite the same this year now that hot-bikini-neighbor has moved away, but the water still felt great. Forgot about sunscreen though. Whoops.

Happy Birthday Dennis. Hope you get better soon.

This weekend I got my Ridgid bandsaw together finally and now just need to work on some vibrations in it. Took down a few cabinets that were in the way and in serious shop redo mode.

During my breaks from that I started turning my first bowl and successfully broke my first bowl all at the same time!

Baseball game sunday in 101 degrees with %85 humidity. Gotta love the Georgia coast!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Spent Saturday at the Kansas City Woodworker's Guild Open House demonstrating hand tools.

Had my shooting board plus wide miter fence to demo making a small box. Also brought along the hot hide glue and we had some fun playing with it! Did a little basic hammer veneering to make up some sheets of thin mahogany plywood for box bottoms. That also made a great lead in to scrapers.

Showed a couple guys how to sharpen a scraper to get those whispy shavings. They were impressed when I was able to go from fresh-out-the-power-planer to finish ready on some walnut in just a few strokes of a sharp scraper. No dust, no loud noise, no fuss, no muss. And if you act today, we will double your shipment... OK, so it was a little bit of a set-up since walnut scrapes so well.

Also played with the #45 and other joinery planes and showed how they could file a molding profile into a scraper blade to exactly match existing and commercially unavailable moldings. That was a big hit with a couple guys that do repair jobs.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Nothing productive of the woodworking or home improvement sort this past weekend. Saturday was the normal riding lesson and mowing the lawn. Sunday, we took a trip to tour the summer camp that our older daughter will be attending very shortly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...