Thread: Burl Gloat (?)

Burl Gloat (?)

Yesterday at church, a friend opened the trunk of his car and gave me this old burl which has been in his basement or years, it is very dry. He said to be creative with it. I think it is oak. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

Tim, no doubt there is some beautiful wood in there!! The trouble is dealing with the rotten part so as best to utilize what is still solid. I would be inclined to saw it in half and see what I had.

On the other hand, since neither end is solid, I guess one could try to make a good spot to get a faceplate on it and turn it whole.

Make sure to keep us posted on what you do with it!

Nice hood ornament.

"Nice hood ornament."

David DeCristoforo

thanks for sharing, no suggestion

6. Could make some shallow natural edge pieces? Theres alot of rot in there and its gonna be difficult to come up with a game plan without knowing how much stable wood there is.

Looks like you may have enough thickness for a box. Great wood, that's what I'd go with!

Deciding how to cut something like this is tough for me even if I have it in front of me. I wonder if you could get a hollow form or two from the side that appears thicker in the photos(bottom side of the chunk in the 4th photo). It may have some voids and defects, but I think those usually add to the finished piece. If you have the inclination, I'd love to see some photos of the disassembly of the burl and the finished product(s) as well.

It may be good for something besides turning...

I had a similar "object" that my dad brought me about six years ago. I forgot about it, keeping it in "the pile" knowing I might use it. About two years ago I made a lamp for my sister, using the void in the middle to hide the cord. I used brown shoe polish for the finish, just rubbed it hard enough and long enough to where it wouldn't transfer color. She lives about two hours away or I'd get a picture. Apparently she likes it because it's still around. I did it on a bit of a creative whim, but it worked out well.

EDIT: I just looked at the pics again... that would be a big lamp. But then again, it would make a rather large bowl/hollow form as well...

that is white oak. i had a burl like that a few years ago. it was interesting to turn
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Looks like it would make a nice hollow form if you can find a good way to hold on to it.