Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Scraper: A Cheater's Tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    So, if the scraper can be considered a cheater's tool, does that make the myriad of carbide cutter tools that are flooding the turning market the ultimate cheater's tool. After all, they promote the ease of turning without the complications of learning to ride the bevel, etc. AND you don't even need to learn to sharpen them. Rotate the cutter until it's dull all around, throw it a way and put a new one on. I could free up quite a bit of workbench space by getting rid of my grinder, let alone the time it free's up by not sharpening.

I don't really think any tool can be considered cheating. But I also think that regardless of what innovative tools come along, there will always be a need for the good old gouges and skews and the skills necessary to use them.
    I make one version of the myriad of carbide tools the Woodchuck line, and I still use my Thompson bowl gouge and Sorby skew, in fact I've been looking for a decent inside bowl scraper. One comment made by the Secretary of the North Florida Woodturners when doing a review on my tool was 100% dead on, its not a good tool for beginning turners, in that they need to know how to sharpen their tools.
    I was a machine tool instructor and the first thing we taught after basic safety was how to sharpen a HSS lathe bit and drill bits the same thing holds true for woodturning, interchangeable carbide inserts are great, they are faster and a bit more convenient, but I hope they never replace good quality HSS or Powdered Metal tools. I still believe that "it's a poor craftsman that lays blame for his shoddy work upon his tools"

Ken Ferrell
    Last edited by Ken Ferrell; 06-21-2010 at 1:06 PM. Reason: puncuation

Woo Hoo!!! Another Keeper Quote!!

"It's a poor craftsman that lays blame for his shoddy work upon his tools" ~ Ken Ferrell
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

They might be a cheaters tool, but boy do they work well! I like some of the other comments, especially about a motor being a cheaters tool, etc.

The goal is to turn out the best quality work you can. I really dont care what others think about my methods as long as they are safe.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author